Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do women breathe differently?
Do women breathe differently?
Resmed Airsense 10 offers a For Her version. Anyone any thoughts on whether is this marketing (such as pink covers) or whether women really breathe differently and therefore need different algorithms?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do women breathe differently?
I guess Resmed thinks so, but in real life, men like it too!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Per ResMed...

There is evidence to show that obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) in women is different from OSA in men1-3. Typically, women take longer to fall asleep and have more flow limitations and more frequent arousals during sleep than men.

Women with OSA also tend to have fewer and shorter apnoeas or hypopneas, as well as a lower apnoea–hypopnea index (AHI).4 And with nearly 40% of newly diagnosed sleep apnoea patients being women,5 it’s important to have a therapy device specifically designed to meet their needs.

The AirSense™ 10 AutoSet for Her contains the first dedicated algorithm designed to treat mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnoea in female patients.

https://www.resmed.com/ap/en/healthcare-...r-her.html
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I read the Resmed blurb. But I am wondering if anyone has actually tried the For Her version and whether they felt any difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BobbieB,
A few months ago I migrated to an Airsense 10 Autoset For Her, and did some experiments to discover which Auto mode was best for me.  There were significant differences, reported in the following thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rapy-Modes

Enough others have also found differences, that I don't believe it is an invention of Marketing.
Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Becker, this is great. I found the link. You did a great review. I hope more people with experience of the machine will send in their views to the thread. Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BobbieM and Becker. Thank you for highlighting the very excellent post on the Soft mode in the Autoset Airsense 10 for Her. I am a woman and have elevated flow limits. Where do I find the Soft mode in my machine? I ventured in the clinician's menu and found CPAP, Standard, and For Her. No Soft mode. My machine is pushing 5 years. Maybe it's too old?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TiredOne,
In the Autoset Mode, there is a Response setting, which can be set to Standard or Soft.  It's not really a separate Mode, but it behaves that way.  I checked the Clinician manual, but it doesn't document the Menu for that item, and I don't remember the position.  It is not visible in any mode but Autoset.
Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2021, 10:54 AM)becker44a Wrote: Hi TiredOne,
In the Autoset Mode, there is a Response setting, which can be set to Standard or Soft.  It's not really a separate Mode, but it behaves that way.  I checked the Clinician manual, but it doesn't document the Menu for that item, and I don't remember the position.  It is not visible in any mode but Autoset.
Hope this helps.

I don't have the "for her" version with the pretty flowers, but it also has soft mode from what I recall from the menu.  So, it's not only for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Becker, 
My machine is set on Autoset for Her, but I do not find a Response option. Is it under CPAP or Standard? Or somewhere else.
Thank you. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,786 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,174 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,024 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 300 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Just got my machine - can’t breathe - any suggestions? tigress35 5 990 08-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tigress35
  Waking up and unable to breathe easily stefanwlb 4 823 07-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.