Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do you ever skip a night with the machine?
RE: Do you ever skip a night with the machine?
Eh, it won't kill you and it may or may not make you feel like crap the next day. But what you could do is invest in an oximeter. Supplier #19 has several different varieties. If you only want to use it occasionally, like once a month or less, get the cheap 50D Plus. It works and does its job well. If you think you might use it more, get the wrist version (more comfortable and stays on better).

Then take a nap without the CPAP and wear the oximeter. Or go a night with just the oximeter. What this will tell you is how low your blood O2 goes and what your heart rate does. Granted, it is just one night but it will give you a general idea. This way should something come up, you won't be facing the unknown. If it looks like you might react badly, then you can plan. Like get a cheap machine as back up and/or get an alternative power source.

The difference going a night without it now vs all those nights before your were diagnosed is now your body is used to having the oxygen it needs and the sleep it deserves. And even one night can screw everything up. The longest I went was 5 nights a few winters ago due to a prolonged power outage. My blood pressure was dangerously high, my heart rate was up, and I was cranky as heck. I felt awful. We were packing my stuff to send me to a hotel when the power came back on. (reminds me, I still don't have anything planned for this winter...)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a hammock in the backyard I sometimes doze off in and it always ends in an event of sorts that reminds me of my apnea. Indoors all my naps or full on sleep are always with my trusty device. Which reminds me I need a new battery backup for power outages. But in a pinch I can always steal my computer's backup battery if need be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny that you mentioned this. Last weekend we had our annual ATV trip. First night, I thought I slept good (exhausted) but I woke up with a sore throat. Everyone was teasing my husband about keeping the whole camp awake. He didn't have the heart to tell them it was his wife. LOL! Next night, I felt like I slept good but woke up feeling like I had strep throat. I've only been a hose head since August 11th but I think I'm already hooked. Never again will I sleep without my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a power failure one night, about 2 years ago. Discovered that there is no way on the planet that I can now even consider trying to sleep without it. Thankfully, I have a UPS for my computer, and access to a generator if that doesn't make it.

I *haven't* explored the assorted battery backup solutions, yet... but I'm aware of them for when I decide to go that route.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was forced to once because my electricity went out just 2 hours after I went to bed. It didn't come back until late morning (like 11 am). Never again. I guess I forgot just how hellishly tired I was without it. And how awful I felt all the time.

So, no I won't do it willingly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have mild apnea. When I had a one week period without a machine, I went right back to needing 2 naps a day. Yes, I can get by for one night, but that's the max. I even brought my machine to the ICU this week to stay a couple of nights with a family member who is very ill. I will admit that for the 1 or 2 times a week I still take naps, I don't usually use my machine unless I'm really tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
Contrary to the majority here, I do skip nights from time to time but seldom more than one night a week. I don't really feel much different the next day except for waking with a dry mouth from breathing by the mouth. The sleep clinic told me it would be ok to do this occasionally. For trips of just one night I seldom take the machine but for 2 or more nights I always do. When not using the cpap I try to at least use a nasal strip since I have been observed to breath much better and snore less with one.
Post Reply Post Reply
No skipping for me, night time or afternoon naps ... I like my naps
When you're on a good thing, better stick with it

[Image: Slippery-Slope.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
For those thinking they can use their computer battery backup systems: you will get an hour, probably less out of it. Check out one of the numerous threads on battery systems. Do a forum search for thread titles with "camping" or "battery".

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rum-Search
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another data point. I recently took a three-day vacation, and I decided I didn't want the hassle of taking it along. I slept fine all three nights with plenty of daytime energy. I was in the same time zone, so I kept pretty much to my regular schedule. It was good to know for the next time. It was also good to know that I'm not psychologically addicted to it. I didn't miss it at all.

I have a generator at home, but I probably wouldn't use it for CPAP unless the outage was extended. Clearly, I can go a few days without it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,173 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 447 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,793 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.