Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do you get stressed out after waking up and seeing a not so great AHI score?
Do you get stressed out after waking up and seeing a not so great AHI score?
I've been on CPAP for 54 days now and have been doing really well.  My average AHI is 0.64 which I know is low and maybe I shouldn't be complaining.  Last night it was 1.5 which I know is still low but when I wake up and look at it, it kind of bums me out that it is double my average.  Anyone else feel the same way?  Sometimes I think I should stop obsessing about the numbers and just appreciate the fact that I am sleeping better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you get stressed out after waking up and seeing a not so great AHI score?
No reason to stress out. We all have nights with atypically high AHI. 1.5 is still quite good. Occasionally I will see a value over 5 after running consistently below 1. SleepyHead usually helps me identify the issue.  

The important thing is that your feeling better. Don't ruin that by worrying about the numbers.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you get stressed out after waking up and seeing a not so great AHI score?
(03-14-2017, 09:52 AM)pcplus2 Wrote: I've been on CPAP for 54 days now and have been doing really well.  My average AHI is 0.64 which I know is low and maybe I shouldn't be complaining.  Last night it was 1.5 which I know is still low but when I wake up and look at it, it kind of bums me out that it is double my average.  Anyone else feel the same way?  Sometimes I think I should stop obsessing about the numbers and just appreciate the fact that I am sleeping better.

You better get used to it.   I've been doing this for 10 years and still have nights higher than that.  It's meaningless.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Melman.  I look at my Sleepyhead data regularly.  When you say that you look at the data and it helps you identify the issue when you have a high AHI, what is it specifically that you look for?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't really get to stressed about it. Every night is a new night! Although your bad night is basically where my good nights are. Granted I have some altitude related issues, and my bad nights can be 8-13 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are so many things that affect our sleep and thus our AHI reading, like medications,
congestion, stress, overeating, anxiety, etc.

I used to get upset over seeing a higher reading than normal, but after awhile it won't bother you.  Unless you see a high jump in your AHI, dont worry too much.   Go by how you feel!  

I used to check my data daily, now just glance at the reading on my Apap in the morning.  Once a week, I download to SleepyHead to look over.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Statistics, That is a 134% increase, and seriously a totally meaningless statistic.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to, then I realized that a lot of the incidents could be something as simple as my holding my breath as I roll over. As long as the average, day by day, is low, I am satisfied.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2017, 01:37 PM)bonjour Wrote: Statistics, That is a 134% increase, and seriously a totally meaningless statistic.

234%, but who's counting. Big Grin
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2017, 10:36 AM)pcplus2 Wrote: Thanks Melman.  I look at my Sleepyhead data regularly.  When you say that you look at the data and it helps you identify the issue when you have a high AHI, what is it specifically that you look for?
Usually any period of flow limitation of between 0.75 and 1.0 associated with OAs. This, to me, indicates, a change in position such as a chin tuck that restricts flow through my airway. That's because measures to reduce chin tucks brought an immediate and significant improvement in my AHI. If I were to see that my machine were running at max pressure for much of the night I would consider increasing the setting, but not based on the results from a couple of nights and not without consulting the forum. I'm fairly new at this and don't have the expertise of some of the members. But I don't see that consistently.

As Sleeprider said, get used to it. Anxiety over minor fluctuations may actually be detrimental to your sleep. It's not just effected by how you breathe. I've been doing some reading on sleep stages and have learned that susceptibility to OA can depend on sleep stage (e.g. REM) and the amount of time we spend in each stage will vary from night to night.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 105 2 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.