Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do you keep your settings the same for extended periods
Do you keep your settings the same for extended periods
Just have a question that I don’t remember reading about before.  It seems that I have no problems with CPAP for maybe months and then I run into problems where I have to alter my settings.  
An example is I can go months with low ahi and good sleep and then without me making any changes I suffer with aerophagia or my snoring for no reason goes up significantly.  I know we don’t always sleep the same but it seems at least for me I can keep my settings for a while and then things happen as I stated that has me to consider changing my settings.  I try to be patient to see if my results return to normal but what happens is days go by and I have to alter my settings to deal with the new problem.  
 Can anyone keep their settings for an extended time and not have to change settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you keep your settings the same for extended periods
I don't normally need to change my settings on my ASV machine. I do need to adjust the mask headgear occasionally due to weight fluctuations. I also change mask cushion sizes occasionally for the same reason.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are not a robot. You are a biological unit. Even when everything seems to stay the same, you have changes in your physiology for a variety of reasons.  I rarely have to change settings as I opened them up a bit more, but most of my changes are needed when there is a change of seasons,  a change in medications or a change in my health.  I just started blood pressure med this week and overnight, found that I had to change my EPR, something I haven't changed in 2 or 3 years.  So, I made a note of this as I'm hoping to drop the blood pressure med next year.  I also change between manual and automatic humidity when the seasons change.  Last night my bin went completely dry, so either I slept with my mouth open or I need to go back to automatic or I'm going to be all stuffed up tomorrow with too much moisture.   The dry throat I had the other day may have been due to the blood pressure pill (listed as a side effect), so it's a guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks mosquito bait for your reply.  
Thought this was a good question and was surprised with few responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may have changed my settings more than many/most for several reasons.

I'm impatient and results aren't what I'm looking for.

results appear to be trending worse.

I'm still learning by trial and error how things work and how they affect me.

I admit to chasing numbers, largely because while things are finally improving for me after nearly 3 years, I'm still waiting for that feeling of being well rested, energetic and alert. but not just numbers; I dig as deep as my limited knowledge allows into the charts on a daily basis, trying to understand how to get from here to well rested. I look forward to the day I don't feel the need to check my data every day. then I'll know for sure it's all been worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2019, 04:52 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Thanks mosquito bait for your reply.  
Thought this was a good question and was surprised with few responses.

Happens sometimes. Gets knocked to the 2nd page of the forum and not seen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need a "lot" of changes while you are optimizing your therapy, from there you should need very few adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once your on therapy for a good while, you shouldn’t need to change your settings too much.

Of course, some folk just like to experiment with their settings to see what works best, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Some things that could require pressure adjustments might be weight gain, weight loss, mask changes, etc.

The adjustments I make most are Flex settings and humidity settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever I feel heavily congested in the nasal area (typically one episode when winter onsets), I raise my
Machine from 7 fixed to 8 fixed. Once the congestion passes, I bring it back to 7cm.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 834 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Question about OSCAR accuracy during high leak periods raptosnorus 13 922 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: raptosnorus
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 859 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  New BiPAP, still having long periods of low oxygen phlamingo 1 626 08-09-2022, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Insp Rate and Exp Rate 0 for long periods Ctyankee 2 549 04-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ctyankee
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,586 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.