Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

144 days... and I seem to starting to mouth breathe
RE: 144 days... and I seem to starting to mouth breathe
(09-13-2015, 11:39 PM)AshSF Wrote: The edema of soft tissue in our breathing apparatus goes down after successful xPAP therapy over 3-6 months. That may reduce your pressure needs (there is a paper in pubmed on this explaining how a 2nd titration after a few months of Cpap shows a lower required pressure).

My theory on mouth opening is that if the pressure applied is just a bit More than the critical pressure to keep the airway open, it blows open the mouth gate. In my case, I can even open my mouth while breathing nasally thru my P10 pillows and no air escapes thru the mouth.

You can try to correlate if the leak is happening at a higher pressure (and maybe that threshold has changed over time ). You may want to tighten your top end of the range a bit (if AHI permits) and evaluate.

And you can never leave the P10 cult once you join. Resistance is futile!! Smile

Interesting about the pressure changing after a couple months of treatment. I wonder if the fact that I've lost 22 lb in the past couple of months has played into that as well. Perhaps I do need a lower starting pressure now.

My pressure band is pretty tight. I start at 10 and through the night can see myself work up to a max of about 11. I didn't see a lot of correlation between the pressure and the the starting of large mouth leaks.

I've definitely got room on the AHI front; I'm running at most 1.5.

I'll drop my sleep doctor an email and see what she thinks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Small update:
I've been using the chin strap now for a week and a few days. I'm finding my results with it are quite variable. Some nights I'm doing great (like last night; 0 95% leak!), but others I'm still getting woken up with a dry mouth or mouth leak (those nights my 95% leak averages around 10).

My snugglehose arrived the other day as well. So, comfort-wise using the machine I don't know why these things aren't standard. Usually when I wake up, I know exactly where my hose is because I've got hose-treads on my arm. With the snugglehose, it just blends in with the blankets. I used the climate control on manual -- 5 humidity, 82F hose. ZERO rainout, so the snugglehose seems to help keep things stable. I'm not sure if the much higher humidity is what helped me achieve 0 mouth leaks last night, but I'll try again tonight and see if I can get a repeat success.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I've figure out the correct chin strap tension; that and the high humidity (made possible by the snugglehose cover) led me to a phenomenal night. 4 lps 95% leak, and 0 AHI. I'm going to keep up this combo!

Only downside is in a 7 hour night I burn through almost the entire humidifier worth of water.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 0 34 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,337 9 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 24 1,028 04-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 182 04-22-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 164 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 158 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 118 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.