Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you know your respiratory rate (RR)?
This poll is closed.
I know my RR
57.89%
11 57.89%
I don't know my RR
36.84%
7 36.84%
I wish I didn't know my RR
5.26%
1 5.26%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you know your RR?
Do you know your RR?
What is your respiratory rate -- do you know it? Whatever brings you to Apnea Board, I'll bet a Guinness to your favorite beverage that your respiratory rate (RR) is a very important (critical, even) factor and it would be prudent to determine it, and to be aware if it changes.

If you don't know, the rate is the number of breaths you take a minute. You can count the number of times you breathe in a minute; in a portion of a minute and multiply appropriately; or in a span of minutes and divide appropriately.

I'm not going to ask your RR, just curious to know if you knew/know it. So here's the poll:
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you know your RR?
Trying to measure your own respiratory rate is not really reliable. You consciously alter your breathing while doing so. That is why doctors do it discretely during an office visit.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead gives you respiratory rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
My current RR is 10, but it has ranged from 8 to 12 overnight, if I'm remembering correctly.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine averages 13 but don't tell ajack. He'll tell me it should be 12.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2018, 08:56 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: Trying to measure your own respiratory rate is not really reliable. You consciously alter your breathing while doing so. That is why doctors do it discretely during an office visit.

Do you mean unconsciously? You're right, it isn't really reliable, though it can be done with a pretty high degree of accuracy. (I calculate mine at 13; SH says it's 12.4... I'm okay with 1/2% error; it isn't going to significantly skew my O2 flow calculations.)

If you're curious how I achieved that, I admit, I fudged: I relaxed a couple of minutes then triggered a 3-minute timer and remained focused on relaxed breathing while counting. It really isn't difficult as long as I don't try to control my breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the fact that I'm currently under the care of 4 physicians, for several medical issues, whose nursing staffs do the usual office visit work up of BP, pulse, RR, and temp, I do know my RR!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I caught a nurse measuring it once (couldn't think of any other reason she'd be looking at my chest for a sustained amount of time). I had never heard of such a thing before that!
Post Reply Post Reply
hmm... PollCat, I've been a little impatient with my medical practitioners checking my weight and temp as well as my BP every time I went in but now I'm glad, and a little jealous that yours even checks your RR. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2018, 10:28 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: .... (I calculate mine at 13; SH says it's 12.4... I'm okay with 1/2% error...

5%
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.