Do you love your cat? (of course you do)
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

Sex: Male

Smile Do you love your cat? (of course you do)
Recently our cat, a 4yr old Australian Domestic, began acting strangely frequently visiting his litter tray but not using it. Urine clumps in the litter were very small. Inquiries revealed he had a blocked urinary tract, a condition that's often fatal and extremely painful for the animal. Further inquiries found the cause was dry food. We immediately removed all dry food and fed him only wet mushy stuff. His urine clumps slowly got bigger & I'm happy to say Harold has fully recovered. The moral of this story? Do not feed your cat dry food, especially male cats.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
06-15-2014 08:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Do you love your cat? (of course you do)
You can, but you have to watch the ash content in dry food for neutered male indoor cats. I can't remember the percentage it needs to stay below.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-15-2014 09:15 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

However, an issue with feeding them all wet food is they can get gingivitis and other dental issues including mouth polyps. Our two cats (fixed 14 year old male siamese, and 3 year old spayed female snowshoe) get a mix of wet and dry. The dry is a prescription dry food. They also get bottled/filtered water. The siamese developed mouth polyps shortly after we got him. Our vet figured it was from the wet food he had as a younger cat - he was rescued from a back yard breeder.

This ultimately comes down to a discussion with your vet as to the best food mix to use. Good job paying to attention to your fur baby and acting on it. I wish more folks did that.

My wife and I work as interviewers for Southern California Siamese Rescue and interview folks who have applied to adopt from us. It is a very enjoyable way of giving back for the love and joy we have received from our rescued kitties.

Homer
06-15-2014 09:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sandybird Offline

Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics System One Series 60 Auto (560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: systemOne
CPAP Pressure: 17

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
woozie38,

glad you found the right food for your cat Smile I have two males and one female and SHE is the one with the urinary problem so they ALL on on her food, the Vet said it was find for the boys.
yep love my catsSmile
S
06-15-2014 10:56 PM
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

(06-15-2014 09:38 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  However, an issue with feeding them all wet food is they can get gingivitis and other dental issues including mouth polyps. Our two cats (fixed 14 year old male siamese, and 3 year old spayed female snowshoe) get a mix of wet and dry. The dry is a prescription dry food. They also get bottled/filtered water. The siamese developed mouth polyps shortly after we got him. Our vet figured it was from the wet food he had as a younger cat - he was rescued from a back yard breeder.

This ultimately comes down to a discussion with your vet as to the best food mix to use. Good job paying to attention to your fur baby and acting on it. I wish more folks did that.

My wife and I work as interviewers for Southern California Siamese Rescue and interview folks who have applied to adopt from us. It is a very enjoyable way of giving back for the love and joy we have received from our rescued kitties.
Homer
Thanks Homer, for your advice. Much appreciated. Although I have had a pet cat for almost all my 76 years, I have never come across this issue before, so I was ill equipped to deal with it. I will add some dry food from time to time to avoid mouth & teeth problems. I admire what you both do. Cats give unconditional love, unfortunately it's not always returned by their humans. Thanks also to Paula02 & Sandybird.
Harold

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
06-15-2014 11:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

All wet food can also make for some stinky stinky stuff in the litter box.

The urinary tract thing doesn't hit all males. We've only had it happen to one out of all of the fosters and keepers we've had over the years.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-16-2014 12:50 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

I think our house/property has turned into a "safe haven" for cats. It began when a mom cat brought us her 3 kittens to take care of just before a very unseasonalbly cold night for us. We brought the whole family in and raised the kids and cared for mom. Thus was created my "miserable cats...." Then along came the puppy, and all the cats, now grown, vaccinated, minds changed, de-fleaed, all of that, moved back outside where they hang out on the decks and porches. Then the began to invite all their ferral friends. So far we have vaccinated, de-flead (although around here that only lasts for a short while) and had the minds changed (which lasts much longer) of 6 more miserable cats. Now, instead of looking all scraggly and malnourished, they all appear to be most content with living the life and eating the food. With the exception of our four original miserable cats, the others of course do not want us to get too close.

And they sure don't want the puppy to come around.............
06-16-2014 12:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

While we were in the process of buying this house, the renters moved out and the feral cats moved in. Well, under. It became a brothel. We didn't know it. The night we moved in was a night of much revelry. One of the cats decided to stick around but the others left. We had two indoor cats. The outdoor cat stayed aloof until one very cold night. I just went outside to where she was huddled, picked her up, and brought her in. Done. Of course she was very pregnant. We had to go finish packing up our other house so we boarded her at the vet's. He said she had about 6-8 kittens in there and she would pop at any time. Yay.

We were gone about ten days. Called every other day. No kittens. Came back and brought her home. No kittens. Waited another week or more. No kittens. Every night I tucked her into one of the other rooms in this big box. One night as I put her in it, I told her I thought she was faking it. That she was just doing it so she could come in out of the cold. And that if there were not kittens in the box by morning, I was gonna toss her out. Of course, I was telling her this while petting her and rubbing that big huge tummy.

The next morning, there were 4 of the largest kittens I have ever seen in that box. No clue where she got them.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

06-16-2014 12:43 PM
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

(06-15-2014 09:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  You can, but you have to watch the ash content in dry food for neutered male indoor cats. I can't remember the percentage it needs to stay below.
I must watch the ash content then. I believe crystals form in the tract because of reduced urinary flow caused from eating dry food.
I wonder, does anyone know if manufacturers put stuff like catnip in cat biscuits? Harold loves his and is not happy that we have taken almost all of them away from him.
[Image: harold.jpg]
06-16-2014 08:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

I doubt it. I have never given it to any of our cats. Putting it in a treat would be useless since their access to it is limited. I don't give them a treat every time they ask. Annie (our current cat) gets her treat at night when I get mine.

He could probably have his dry treats and be fine.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

06-16-2014 08:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What I love about Apnea Board Gabby 23 3,554 12-11-2015 06:17 PM
Last Post: justMongo