Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you use a humidifier?
This poll is closed.
Yes
91.89%
68 91.89%
No
8.11%
6 8.11%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you use a humidifier?
RE: Do you use a humidifier?
I was given an S9 without humidifier which left my mouth feeling like a dried prune, I expect they were trying to save money by not giving me the humidifier.

On being given a humidifier, if I wound it up to provide a reasonable level of comfort I ended up with a face wash and a loud gurgling noise.

There was little difference when the hose was fitted with the zip up insulated sleeve.

After much desk thumping and raised voices I was given a climate hose, the heated one, this worked well, in as much as I had a reasonably comfortable mouth without drowning.

I rarely change the settings.

So for me the humidifier and heated hose are essential if I choose to use the machine.

I sleep better, and without any significant problems if I don't use any of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me a little humidity goes a long way but not too much. As with all of the comfort settings its nice to have the option. I also have the end block to fit into where the humidifier goes if I don't want to use it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I do use a humidifier. I have heated tubing, too. I reset the humidification level in the spring but haven't changed it back yet.[/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
Most times no humidifier, sometimes in winter with cold I'll try it. It doesn't seem to help me with my stuffy noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the humidifier with heated hose. I do change it seasonally. Also, when I start getting rainout, I need to change it. I have also had to change it when traveling depending on how different the humidity level of the air is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 07:32 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I even spring the extra cash for distilled water.

Dummy! Big Grin

May not be the brightest bulb on the tree but my humidifier looks exactly like it did new.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I use a heated humidifier year round and do not change settings with the seasons

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used CPAP since 2001 but have only used the humidifier for less than a year. Over the years I felt like I needed it but could not get comfortable with it, it always seemed like too much humidity. So earlier this year, for the first time, I tried the humidifier with no heat, no problems with that level and it did reduce the dry mouth and throat feeling. After a few weeks I added heat at level 1 and got a little more comfort with no issues. Today I increased heat to 2 of 5 so we will see how that goes. In a few days we will head up for a couple of weeks in central VA with a significantly lower humidity at this time of year so that will allow for a better evaluation.

Like most others, my choice to use distilled water is based on having a water chamber free of mineral deposits. The cost is nil compared to that of a good cup of coffee.

I am one of five CPAP users in my immediate family and to the best of my knowledge, all use humidifiers. Four of us use the CPAP 100% of the time while sleeping. So far, I have not been successful in convincing the others to try this forum but will keep pecking away with the notion that it has a lot to offer.
Post Reply Post Reply
After one night with humidifier bumped up from 1 to 2 I saw a big reduction in the dry crusty nostrils. However, on setting 2 (of 5) eight hours plus left me with just a little bit of water in the chamber meaning that setting 2 is as high as I can reasonably go. But, I think 1 or 2 will work well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My unit came with it and will use it with the heated hose.

Excited to get started.

Ciao.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 322 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 787 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 516 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.