Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you use a humidifier?
This poll is closed.
Yes
91.89%
68 91.89%
No
8.11%
6 8.11%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you use a humidifier?
RE: Do you use a humidifier?
Well, I cast my vote as "no", but if you polled me 3 or 4 weeks ago, my vote would have been "yes". I started therapy on 9/30/2011 and used a humidifier from Day 1 on my S9 Autoset along with a Climateline hose. A few weeks ago I thought I'd try going without since winter had passed and there was more humidity in the air so I disconnected my H5i humidifier and switched to a standard slimline tube and hooked it up directly to the blower unit. Result is I'm sleeping just fine without it and feeling the same as before. Big benefit is it's cut down on my maintenance requirements and I'm not getting any musty odors at all when I first turn on my machine like I sometimes did before when I was using the humidifier. So, think I'll be going without now until I start experiencing dryness again. Coffee
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 07:57 AM)b360155 Wrote: and I'm not getting any musty odors at all when I first turn on my machine like I sometimes did before when I was using the humidifier.
I don,t get any musty odors from my mine
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always been a mouth breather, and have always awakened with a dry mouth which required serious toothbrush attention to become pleasant or even tolerable (for me or my partner :grin: ). With a humidifier, this has changed significantly. While it is initally still dry, very little deliberate effort is necessary to return it to a moist or normal state. It is the same when I wake up during the night. That is a major improvement, IMO, and I (heart) my humidifier!
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the humidifier on 80-100% (setting 4-5 on Respironics 560P). Anything less, depending on humidity conditions, I get nosebleeds and cracked nostrils. Now, I'm going camping next summer and plan to use it w/o the humidifier due to DC battery power restrictions. We'll see how I do.

Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't use my CPAP without a humidifier. I set mine on the middle setting (3 out of 5).
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use my AirSense 10 humidifier. Keep it around 83 or 84 degrees in winter (bedroom unheated) and several degrees lower in summer. Really should be using it because it is pretty dry where I live.
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the time no. When cold and dry yes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Settings have very little difference to me. Except at the extremes. Any thing to make the process more comfortable. I even spring the extra cash for distilled water.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I even spring the extra cash for distilled water.

Dummy! Big Grin

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never tied without a humidifier. Setting of 3 out of 5. When I try lower settings I feel dryness in the nose long into my day. Dont' like that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 101 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 353 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 903 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 508 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 424 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,232 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.