Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doable? [Should I try to self titrate?]
Doable? [Should I try to self titrate?]
We are somewhat familiar with CPAP. After brain surgery & radiation, my husband is using one & somewhat in love with his unit.
Unfortunately, we are years away from covering our medical debt for his care and adding to the pile of debt is not my A-Plan.
I recently went for much overdue checkups. My PCP ordered blood labs and a sleep study. I was able to set up a payment plan for the sleep study but was not able to do the same for labs so I had to delay those until my sleep study is paid for (6 months). 
The sleep study group wanted me back for an additional in-Lon study but BCBS denied & ordered an APAP at home. BOTH companies require a hefty down payment to get the machine that will then titration my settings (not done at sleep study). I just cannot afford it until I get the sleep study paid off.
I saw a machine on eBay but, without knowing the titration numbers, can I figure out where to set it? Is it dangerous to try this myself? Is it doable? (My husband’s unit is titration remotely) 
I realize this is not a spectacular choice, but if I want something before next winter.
I look forward to hearing from everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doable?
Before you buy a machine on your own I'd get a copy of your sleep study and post it here. People here can advise you if makes sense to buy a CPAP or not based on your tests. Different types of sleep apnea require different types of machines. You don't want to waste your money on the wrong machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 12:15 AM)krowan1963 Wrote: ...but, without knowing the titration numbers, can I figure out where to set it? Is it dangerous to try this myself? Is it doable? (My husband’s unit is titration remotely)

If you look at Walla Walla's signature, there are some links about SleepyHead software.

Without going into too much detail (first follow his advice about posting your results), having an SD card in your machine allows the capture of detailed data. This card can then be used with Sleepyhead to view that data on your computer. If you upload screenshots here, there are people knowledgeable in reading the data and can help guide you in setting up your machine.

It is very doable.

You do want to be careful about which machine you purchase. Having one that has data-recording is best. I'm sure someone will be along to advise on that - meanwhile there is a link to the wiki at the top of each page.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 06:52 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Before you buy a machine on your own I'd get a copy of your sleep study and post it here. People here can advise you if makes sense to buy a CPAP or not based on your tests. Different types of sleep apnea require different types of machines. You don't want to waste your money on the wrong machine.

Krowan1963, there are generally 3 types of machines and each of which will perform differently. Without a sleep study or prior usage, it will be difficult to determine which machine that will give therpeutic advantage, that is limit all types of apnea that you may experience. 
I think it is feasible that you obtain a machine (borrow) and get some basic information that could help. If you check Craigslist, there is sometimes very low cost machines. I suggest looking there. If you put an ad on Craiglist in the free section, and put in the ad that you are in search of a CPAP machine for free, you might get a response as well.

Welcome to Apnea Board!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Let me preface this by saying that I am a newbie. But I think the knowledgeable folks here can absolutely help you figure out how to set your machine. The combined knowledge base here is phenomenal!

However, as Walla Walla said, step one would be posted the results of your sleep study. That way the very first thing they help you figure out is the correct machine to get. There are too many choices out there and sometimes the differences are difficult to determine. Since your resources are limited, you want to be sure you get the right one first time!

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever you choose to do, do not buy an APAP machine without checking here first. There are many considerations when purchasing "off the grid" such as machine capabilities and total run hours (Not therapy hours which is reset-able)

Choices and advice are best made with data. As mentioned above please attach a copy of you sleep study here.
(Many find "better" advice here than with their medical team for apnea)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doable? [Should I try to self titrate?]
Hi krowan1963,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] New to CPAP - trying to titrate grubsztyl 40 2,430 03-10-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  [Pressure] Please help me self-titrate (OSCAR data provided) SnoozePlease 0 512 05-22-2022, 06:59 AM
Last Post: SnoozePlease
  Get a second sleep test to titrate? CaptainKirk 8 1,381 05-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Last Post: CaptainKirk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.