Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor/DME Scam?
Doctor/DME Scam?
I went online to find the mask costs, and then called the doctor's office and requested my prescription be sent to me! They wanted to know why and I told them. The doctor refuses to provide me with a prescription since he only wants me to use the DME because of "quality issues" at unknown sites.
When I pushed back on that, stating that it was a brand name and was similar to buying a brand name contact lenses, cheese, wine or anything else I would be placing into my body, they came up with other excuses.

Is this just a scam in which the doctors and DME office are working together? Perhaps the doctor even owns the DME business or gets a % kickback. I'm wondering how hard it would be to start a DME business (guaranteed repeat clients, growth industry, ...)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doctor/DME Scam?
Probably knows the owner and/or RT, he and his office staff probably get freebies and free lunches from them or could be full-blown cash kick back. In any case, any quality issues would be with manufacturers, not retailers/suppliers - so he was blowing smoke and likely involved in some sort of unethical (possibly illegal) shenanigans.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2013, 07:18 AM)HoseHead58 Wrote: I'm wondering how hard it would be to start a DME business (guaranteed repeat clients, growth industry, ...)

Having just started dealing with a DME, I have a few suggestions as to how you need to run your business if you want to be successful.

1) Make it difficult for your customers to do business with you. If you have a phone number, don't answer it. Have a message tell the customer to leave a call back number, then don't.

2) Never, under any circumstances, consider setting up a web site for your customers to review their billing, order supplies, etc. Who are you in business for, you or them?

3) Have frequent personnel turnovers, so if, by mistake, you hire somebody competent who is customer focused you can get rid of them before they do too much damage to your reputation.

4) If, by some error on your part, a customer does manage to make contact and order a part, screw the order up. If you've followed item #1, they won't be able to contact you to do anything about it.

If the customer set up a standing order at the time they picked up their equipment, screw that up, too.

5) Make your pricing/billing as incomprehensible as possible. Bill for things you never provided. After all, it's the customer's responsibility to prove they never receive it, not yours.

6) Above all, act like you just don't give a damn, because you don't (if you do, you're in the wrong business). You've got direct access your customer's insurance company. That's where you need to put your best effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
mdh235 hit the nail right on the head.

When you go to a brick and mortar DME, they usually don't view you as the customer...they view the Doctor that sent you there or the insurance provider as the customer - so many of them don't see any reason to provide good service to you - you are just considered a nuisance by them.

That's been my experience.

On-line suppliers know you have a choice and assume you shop around...it's amazing how much that changes things.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am lucky, my DME is run by the owner and one other guy. They are both BIG TIME cpap users so when I drop by, they make me coffee and we compare war stories. They have been pretty straight shooters. We all know that profit and money are the root of all this.

My guys have helped me dealing with the sleep doctor. They helped me get the new RX when I switched to the Autoset. They have been pretty honest about their relationship with the doctor and how to get what I want/need.

Right now I have bigger ethics concerns with the doctor's office than I do with the DME. I know it's frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its against the law to deny a copy of the prescription , its your right and you need the copy to buy stuff in case of emergency or away from home. In US you cannot buy mask, machine/humidifier without a valid prescription

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2013, 01:31 PM)zonk Wrote: Its against the law to deny a copy of the prescription , its your right and you need the copy to buy stuff in case of emergency or away from home. In US you cannot buy mask, machine/humidifier without a valid prescription

and some DME's in the US require a script for chin straps although I can't understand why. I really don't understand why a prescription is needed for a mask either because if there is a script for CPAP machines, then it is a given that a mask is needed.

My doc just wrote a script for the machine and supplies (with the exception of the climate line hose).

Everyone is correct. You are entitled to your script and your complete and accurate medical records and if they refuse, I would be reporting them to

your insurance company if you are insured and
the medical board
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if it's entirely honest and aboveboard, it's probably illegal for the doctor to limit where you have the prescription filled.

If you're in the US, look up HIPAA and medical records. Threatening them with HIPAA tends to get their attention.

Be aware your insurance may limit you to certain DMEs if you want to get paid.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2013, 10:25 AM)mdh235 Wrote:
(11-28-2013, 07:18 AM)HoseHead58 Wrote: I'm wondering how hard it would be to start a DME business (guaranteed repeat clients, growth industry, ...)

Having just started dealing with a DME, I have a few suggestions as to how you need to run your business if you want to be successful.

1) Make it difficult for your customers to do business with you. If you have a phone number, don't answer it. Have a message tell the customer to leave a call back number, then don't.

2) Never, under any circumstances, consider setting up a web site for your customers to review their billing, order supplies, etc. Who are you in business for, you or them?

3) Have frequent personnel turnovers, so if, by mistake, you hire somebody competent who is customer focused you can get rid of them before they do too much damage to your reputation.

4) If, by some error on your part, a customer does manage to make contact and order a part, screw the order up. If you've followed item #1, they won't be able to contact you to do anything about it.

If the customer set up a standing order at the time they picked up their equipment, screw that up, too.

5) Make your pricing/billing as incomprehensible as possible. Bill for things you never provided. After all, it's the customer's responsibility to prove they never receive it, not yours.

6) Above all, act like you just don't give a damn, because you don't (if you do, you're in the wrong business). You've got direct access your customer's insurance company. That's where you need to put your best effort.

Thanks
This cracked me up!
I am also taking it as an important word of caution as I enter the wild world of CPAP supplies!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi simplysara, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,721 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 789 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,024 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.