Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor Issues
RE: Doctor Issues
(09-19-2018, 08:16 AM)crowtor Wrote: Surprisingly my doc here in Germany, after the titration night asked if i read out the data myself and whether i use resscan or sleepyhead. I feel sorry for you guys. Move over here.

When I told my doctor in Boston that I was using ResScan to look at my data he told me to use sleepyhead instead, since it will show the flow rate data and is more user friendly. So it isn't all bad over here. 
On the other hand, my old sleep doctor had no ability to look at any data and just looked at the summary screen on the machine.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Great job there Stupid1. You did what was needed when the DME failed. Agreed with above posts about providing the SD card info and printed Sleepyhead charts.

My pulmonary doc does not bother editing my info, nor does he seemingly look at data. He just asks if my ASV treatment is doing well. Then we chat briefly on how I'm doing regarding the breathing difficulty from COPD. Then it's OK see ya next visit.

The only time I hear from the DME anymore is to check on supplies. And since I'm their most important customer, I get an automated call that has a series of Yes/No questions. I hang up when I get that call, and call in to talk to a supply Customer Service operator. I place the order, editing mask items if needed.

Again you did great on what you did. Kudos and best to successes. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2018, 03:12 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Stupid1, welcome to Apnea Board.  I think you need to change your user name before you go much further, as you're obviously not stupid.

As a gross generalisation, the medical industry like to be in control of things, and they like things to conform to their norms. That makes for an easier life, less time to spend on each patient and more dollars per hour of revenue. You've upset the applecart by going outside the system but they'll get over it. As Technopauper said, don't burn your bridges - you might need to use the doctor and DME in future. But really, apnea medicine is not rocket science, and many of our members have been successfully managing their own treatment for years.

Your doctor won't have SleepyHead but should have the manufacturer's own software which can read the relevant data from your SD card. But you could also take in some printouts from SleepyHead, which will save them the effort and should greatly impress them that you know what you're doing.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and direction.  I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my posts.  I have a lot to learn.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2018, 05:39 AM)MitchS Wrote: Welcome, stupid1.

Offer to print reports for your doctor with SleepyHead or you could download Encore Pro and use it to print your reports. Encore Pro is the program a DME uses to print the reports. It is, much less user friendly than SleepyHead. In the mean time, if you feel you need help or advice, post some SleepyHead charts and members of the forum will be able to help you optimize your treatment or answer any questions you may have. There are links in my signature to instructions on organizing charts and posting them.

Your doctors nurse’s statements may not reflect how your for doctor feels. You will need copies of all of you records such as the detailed report on your sleep study. It is best to get the raw data as well. You will also need copies of prescriptions for your machine as well as consumable items such as masks, hoses, etc. Since you will be paying out of pocket you may need them. Having copies of your records will also make it easer if it furans out you have to change doctors.

Good luck with your treatment and sleep well.
Thanks for telling me about the Encore software.  I'll look into that right now.  I've also been trying to find out how to post my sleep data to the forum and you've helped me with this as well.  You guys are a great group and very responsive.  Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

I have great respect for you. You know more and have made better choices than I have, and I've been compliant for over 25 years.

The people on this forum are incredible, and very well informed.

I changed my quality of life and OSA treatment by networking. I work in a large corporation. I asked every I saw with mask marks on their face who their suppliers and sleep doctors were. I finally found a DME supplier I could trust. I wanted to find a new sleep doctor too. However, I was required to get a referral...time will tell.

My DME looked at the used cpap I bought, and set it up according to the prescription they had on file. cpap. 11. My DME loans me masks. When I keep them, they cost too much. I've had benefits that paid; now my benefits are reduced and they won't pay my DME direct.

My last sleep doctor said I must be compliant, or he would pull my driver's license. He also warned me that changing pressure myself ws practicing medicine without a license. No, I didn't buy my current machine from him. I bought it from an OSA coworker who refused to use it. It's used.

Good luck with your treatment. I hope that you sleep well, and awake well rested.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Always remember that the dme and the doctor work for you. if either one gives you a real hard time, fire them and find another. whether the dme looks at your machine or not, they should be happy to sell you supplies because most of their revenue probably comes from supplies sold over lifetimes' not machines. smart doctors and dme's know that the cpap world is evolving with second hand markets and smarter more economically minded patients that in some cases know more about their own treatment than they do.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL, looks like you've had a time with your doctors.  I too feel blessed to have found this forum.  Am looking forward to working through the issues I'm having with my machine and hopefully regain a decent quality of sleep.

I had spoken with the DME prior to buying the Dreamstation from an individual and asked them if they would set it up for a charge, and they would not, since I wasn't purchasing from them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am appalled that the doctor said that you were practicing medicine without a license.  I think I would have asked him if it wasn't the same thing when you take aspirin for a headache or Pepto Bismol for stomach upset.  Good Grief!!  He/She really has a god-complex don't they.  I hope you fired him!  In my eyes, this is my body given to me by God and I will do with it as I see fit.  The audacity!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 10:54 PM)Technopauper Wrote: Just bring the SD card out of your machine and they can pull the data from it same way you do.

Do be really careful to write protect the card before downloading to Sleepyhead and unprotect it again before putting it back in the machine - I had some lost data in the first couple of weeks due to messing that up.

Post some of your charts and the experts will be along to offer any advice based on the charts

Just a note. He did say the nurse did not KNOW how to pull the reports off the machine.  So bringing his SD card in is a waste of time.  As to reports, I printed out the last 3 months of Overview reports and several days with those graphs (3 I think) within the last 2 weeks.  All she looked at was compliance. I haven't been back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2018, 11:20 AM)DaveL Wrote: My last sleep doctor said I must be compliant, or he would pull my driver's license.  He also warned me that changing pressure myself ws practicing medicine without a license. No, I didn't buy my current machine from him.  I bought it from an OSA coworker who refused to use it.  It's used.

I was glad to see that you stated 'your last sleep doctor'.  I would never stay with a doctor who not only threatened me, but lied on top of it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,718 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 216 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.