Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: ResMed H5i (not using)
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CareFusion PureSom Ultra Chinstrap

Sex: Male

RE: [split] Doctor Ordered Pressure Change
My sleep doctor prefers that I disable my Autoset and use a constant pressure...but I will not do it. In my opinion (not that humble), the doctor becomes much more important, generates more visits ($), and makes the patient more dependent by eliminating the auto feature. The PA and the DME clinician roll their eyes in disapproval but allow me to have my way as long as the payments are received. It's sort of an "old school" culture resisting advances in technology like having firemen on diesel locomotives.
07-27-2014 06:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
BillPedley Offline

Members

Machine: Remstar 1 auto
Mask Make & Model: Quatro FX med
Humidifier: Remstar series 1
CPAP Pressure: 8-18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Thanks for all your help guys and yes I will just continue to "adjust" the settings and fight with my mask till I get it right. I really don't care what the Dr or DME says anyways. I have found out that a presser of 8-18 works most of the time but when the machine is at max(18) it will cause the mask to leak thus making me wake up and readjust it. So I think I'm going to lower that a bit and see what happens .
07-27-2014 09:17 AM
JimZZZ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: ResMed H5i (not using)
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CareFusion PureSom Ultra Chinstrap

(07-27-2014 09:17 AM)BillPedley Wrote:  I have found out that a presser of 8-18 works most of the time but when the machine is at max(18) it will cause the mask to leak thus making me wake up and readjust it. So I think I'm going to lower that a bit and see what happens .
My experience is similar to yours and I believe you are on the right track. I suggest you look at your average and 95% pressures on autoset to help you determine the best range. Mine are Avg = 10.14 and 95% = 12.52 so I have the range set at 9 - 14. Occasionally the max pressure will bump 14 but not often enough to make me increase the max. I found that at a max of 16, I had leaks and swallowed air but at 14, I am fine.
07-27-2014 09:29 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Doctor Ordered Pressure Change
One warning. Don't set your minimum pressure too low. I find that if I set my minimum pressure at a level that essentially reduces my AHI to zero, I don't feel as good as if I increase it a bit. Apparently, something is still wrong even though it doesn't cause my AutoSet to detect apneas or increase my pressure.

Also, even though the machine will increase your pressure from the minimum pressure to eliminate apneas, it doesn't do so instantaneously, so you suffer a bit as your pressure needs change as you fall asleep and as you change sleep stages. There are multiple reasons we don't just give everyone an APAP set at 4-20.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-27-2014 03:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Pressure] Change Pressure on AirCurve 10 VAuto info 31 4,946 Yesterday 09:34 AM
Last Post: _cy_
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 239 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  [Pressure] How to change pressure - Respironics Solo slgoltz 5 20,022 11-30-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: randx2
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 522 11-21-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,277 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 813 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  pressure change cwvincent 2 357 10-16-2016 04:22 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred