Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor Ordered Pressure Change
RE: [split] Doctor Ordered Pressure Change
My sleep doctor prefers that I disable my Autoset and use a constant pressure...but I will not do it. In my opinion (not that humble), the doctor becomes much more important, generates more visits ($), and makes the patient more dependent by eliminating the auto feature. The PA and the DME clinician roll their eyes in disapproval but allow me to have my way as long as the payments are received. It's sort of an "old school" culture resisting advances in technology like having firemen on diesel locomotives.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your help guys and yes I will just continue to "adjust" the settings and fight with my mask till I get it right. I really don't care what the Dr or DME says anyways. I have found out that a presser of 8-18 works most of the time but when the machine is at max(18) it will cause the mask to leak thus making me wake up and readjust it. So I think I'm going to lower that a bit and see what happens .
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2014, 09:17 AM)BillPedley Wrote: I have found out that a presser of 8-18 works most of the time but when the machine is at max(18) it will cause the mask to leak thus making me wake up and readjust it. So I think I'm going to lower that a bit and see what happens .
My experience is similar to yours and I believe you are on the right track. I suggest you look at your average and 95% pressures on autoset to help you determine the best range. Mine are Avg = 10.14 and 95% = 12.52 so I have the range set at 9 - 14. Occasionally the max pressure will bump 14 but not often enough to make me increase the max. I found that at a max of 16, I had leaks and swallowed air but at 14, I am fine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Doctor Ordered Pressure Change
One warning. Don't set your minimum pressure too low. I find that if I set my minimum pressure at a level that essentially reduces my AHI to zero, I don't feel as good as if I increase it a bit. Apparently, something is still wrong even though it doesn't cause my AutoSet to detect apneas or increase my pressure.

Also, even though the machine will increase your pressure from the minimum pressure to eliminate apneas, it doesn't do so instantaneously, so you suffer a bit as your pressure needs change as you fall asleep and as you change sleep stages. There are multiple reasons we don't just give everyone an APAP set at 4-20.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,719 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,706 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 450 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.