Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor followup on Compliance
RE: Doctor followup on Compliance
Nice to hear a Dr working with you instead of being hostile towards you like most Dr's are when someone takes charge of there own care. CongratsWell-done
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 07:25 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: What do you mean by the "theory numbers"? I foresee having a similar conversation with my own Dr.

Oops, auto spelling correct burned me - lol - theory -> therapy.

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on your successful followup visit and hope APAP will help you get a better and more safe night's sleep.Sleep-well
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a great Dr. Where's the update on what APAP had to say over the last two nights?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 07:25 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: What do you mean by the "theory numbers"? I foresee having a similar conversation with my own Dr.

I'm guessing he meant therapy numbers. An artifact of using predictive text such as an iPad to type.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2016, 10:19 AM)OB-Left Wrote: Sounds like a great Dr. Where's the update on what APAP had to say over the last two nights?

Well, the second night I got my first ever AHI of 5.0. I am waiting to post some SH charts and ask for help until I tame the new leaks I have from the higher pressures. First night was 8-14 and I had a LOT of leaks, second night was 9-13 and it just ramped up to 13 and got stuck there. I am running at 12-15 tonight. But, I am still experimenting with various leak management suggestions here today in preparation for hitting Pressure of 15 for the first time. Luckily my CI's have stay down mostly - so I am not worried about trying the 12-15, other than the leaks. Smile

Frank
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank: I wouldn't make changes so quickly.
One night does not make a trend. Or, as my colleagues would do -- don't extrapolate from a single point.
Let's review the data first.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2016, 11:35 AM)justMongo Wrote: Frank: I wouldn't make changes so quickly.
One night does not make a trend. Or, as my colleagues would do -- don't extrapolate from a single point.

It isn't so much a move as trying to figure out where to start. I was at 10 CPAP mode before. And I am not sure how to figure out where to start my APAP search. At first I tried 8-12 (oops, I typo'd in the first message and said 8-14) and it ran up and just stuck a straight line at 12, so I am thinking - huh, it really really wants to go higher, and has no desire to go lower... So, maybe I guessed wrong where to start? So, I tried 9-13, and it still stuck at max with no reduction down from there... sigh...

So, I am looking for the point where it is doing something other than running like CPAP at max pressure.

I picked 12-15 tonight. The 12 since it never came down from 13, and the 15 since it flatlined at 13 so I assume it wanted more. Also, each night saw a slight drop in AHI - which is obviously not significant, but better than going up! And my CA's continue to go down proportionately to my OA.

If that doesn't show some tendency to wander around a little I guess I will try 12-20 one night and see if my machine is broken, or maybe I am incurable? Smile

Once I get a little variation I plan on running a week or two at least at that range unless something really bad happens.

Does that seem wrong? Should I just let it sit at max pressure?
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank
I have been following your posts since you first posted back on May 3rd

I love your sense of humor and was glad to see you have a doctor that will help you self manage your therapy.

However, I am concerned about the "BIG" changes your making. JustMongo is right, a sample of one is not significant.
Changing too quickly will only distort the data.
Your not only proposing changes too quickly your making changes in big leaps. Baby steps work better.

If I understood your posts your doctor agrees to either 8-12 or 8-14.
Either way you would get better data if you inched upward in smaller increments, and collected data from multiple days at each increment, keeping you doctor informed when you made significant movement.
for example:
8-14 for a 5 days
8.5-14.5 for 5 days
9.0-14.5 for 5 few days
9.5- 14.5 for 5 few days
9.5-15.0
Then perform Data Analysis

With 5 samples of 5 you will l start to see trends. Which is what you need to find your sweet spot

Above all keep posting the "Pithy Humor"
Coffee

(05-08-2016, 12:22 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 11:35 AM)justMongo Wrote: Frank: I wouldn't make changes so quickly.
Does that seem wrong? Should I just let it sit at max pressure?

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I give up, I am going to stop making any more frequent changes ( after tonights ) and make changes from now on only every Sunday - if necessary. Is that better? Geez, talk about grumpy old people - Smile

Also, I am sure this will get some people riled up, but I may have solved my leak problem with the P10, well, hopefully, I won't know for sure until tonight.

I am going to try a night with blue painters masking tape over my mouth! I tried that in a nap for 1 hour this afternoon, and I found it very comfortable and it worked!

I expect the sticky is not strong enough to keep my mouth closed if I really really wanted to open it. And of course I am not wrapping it around my head 10 times - duh! I am putting a 4 or 5 inch piece across my mouth.

It is easy to remove, it is not stiff and the biggest problem I see so far is I am not familiar with the glue and if it will cause irritation. I expect maybe tomorrow I might go look for something "surgical" that meets the same type of criteria - 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, easy removal with no residue and mostly none porous to air/breathing.

It worked for an hour nap, so tonight I find out if it is viable for me as a solution... I really like the P10 from a comfort point of view, but several chin straps have all failed to keep me from sneaking breaths trough my mouth - for as long as 30 minutes - lol. VERY dry mouth after that one! What I am hoping is that I use this for a while (couple months?) until I break the habit of mouth breathing.

If you read about some old guy dying by suffocating himself with tape in the news tomorrow, well you will know it didn't work out so pretty good, and that maybe you all should cross that one off the "give it a try" list.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,719 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 788 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.