Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member desperate for help
RE: New Member desperate for help
While I'm parroting previous posts, the use of a #3 setting is often discouraged.  The A-Flex behaves differently than the Resmed's EPR, and the maximum you should try is a #2 setting.  From what I understand, a #3 setting can get off into the weeds for some reason.  (I hope that analogy translates!)  Have you tried this?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2022, 03:17 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: While I'm parroting previous posts, the use of a #3 setting is often discouraged.  The A-Flex behaves differently than the Resmed's EPR, and the maximum you should try is a #2 setting.  From what I understand, a #3 setting can get off into the weeds for some reason.  (I hope that analogy translates!)   Have you tried this?

- Red

Yes I tried it for the first time just recently. Chart posted earlier in this thread. Woke up feeling better than normal. But I need more nights to say whether it is better. I have random good days on any setting. 
How about skipping the A-Flex completely? And how about C-Flex? 

Cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't the A-Flex for auto pressure mode and the C-Flex is for a static pressure mode?
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2022, 05:32 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Isn't the A-Flex for auto pressure mode and the C-Flex is for a static pressure mode?
- Red

Hi. 
No, both are some complicated algorithms similar to Resmed’s EPR, but according to some, only making things worse. As it seems to do for me. 
See second post in this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...X-vs-CFLEX
Post Reply Post Reply
By analyzing the data using OSCAR, I found out that right now I do best with a constant CPAP pressure of 6 and Flex setting of 1. I also have the Ramp off, so therapy starts with a constant pressure of 6 and level of air pressure relief of 1 when exhaling. Getting to this point took a lot of trial and error, or as I like to look at it inspecting and adapting. Initially, when I was getting used to the therapy again after a break due to the recall, I experimented with various settings in APAP mode and various Flex and Ramp options. All of that allowed me to get back into therapy and using Flex eased my horrendous aerophagia I had before.
Post Reply Post Reply
If CAs begin to take over as the dominant form of apnea, then it usually means the upper pressure is somewhat too high, but it could also mean the EPR needs to be reduced, say from 3-2.  But, you must watch those OAs as well, so you treat a fine line between the lower pressure, highest limited pressure, and what pressure relief you need to help you to avoid CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never saw the sleep doctor after the initial diagnosis either. My care was transferred to a Physician Assistant, who at the time had ~2 years of experience and was a psychology major in college. They did get the presssure I needed right, but no help with anything else (aerophagia, treatment induced CAs). Finding this Apnea Board saved my therapy.

I was sensitive to the Auto CPAP mode, due to the way the algorithm works experienced awakenings during the night. I saw it on the OSCAR data. Thus not getting that best deep sleep, which translates into not feeling the best during the day and not getting the full gains of the therapy. Finding and using the right Flex setting stopped treatment induced/emergent central apneas. Also, other things that may not seem important turned out to help with getting the treatment optimized (tube size, humidification setting).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again all.
I really think I am on to something here with the Flex settings. I reduced it from 3 to 2 a few days ago, and had a few days better than usual.
Then reduced to 1 last night, and have had a day today with not a trace of that brain fog. That happens perhaps once per month, or say a few times per month randomly.
So this day could be a random one as well, but I put at least a little hope in this being something.
I also reduced again the min pressure to 4 from the recent 5-6. Not sure such a small change can even make a difference, but as it is not, the following settings gave me a day as good as they get.
Min pressure 4
Max pressure 12
A-Flex level 1
No ramp function

I have no knowledge of reading those charts and cannot see why the night of the 17th would make me feel better than the night of the 16th. AHI was actually even higher on the night that made me feel better (17th).
Does anyone have a theory as to why the 17th would make me feel better than the 16th?

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 721 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 496 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.