Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor says no cpap needed but sleep better with it
Doctor says no cpap needed but sleep better with it
Doctor says CPAP not indicated, still sleep better with it. trying to make sense of this all. Do not feel well rested at all. using soft cervical collar and poopy resvent machine at home.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doctor says no cpap needed but sleep better with it
According to your attached reports, your doctor is correct. 

But, you could have UARS not shown in the above reports. 
Unfortunately, you are limited by your machine not being compatible with reporting software like OSCAR.

You could also have a different issue resulting in feeling unrested..

Do you feel rested when you use your machine?

What makes you feel a c- collar would be beneficial?
Do you feel rested when you use it?

You have options. 
1. Use the equipment you have, if it makes you feel well rested. No harm.
2. Find a doctor who will investigate further to find cause for fatigue.
3. Purchase an OSCAR compatible machine, post your charts and see if the experts here can pinpoint a cause for your fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is some oxygen desaturation at 89% but the sleep study does not say how long -- that seems strange.
Post Reply Post Reply
> Do you feel rested when you use your machine?

Not at all, but when I don't use it I wakeup in two hours with numb hands. With it I wakeup in 6-7 hrs, still feeling like sh*t.

> What makes you feel a c- collar would be beneficial?

Was told by ENT that I have positional sleep apnea.

> Do you feel rested when you use it?

No clue, but if it doesn't hurt I might as well try.

If I don't have sleep apnea any longer, why would using a cpap machine modulate the length of my sleep? btw Have had tonsilectomy, uvulaectomy, hyoid suspension, fixed deviated septum, lost 10% of bodyweight
Post Reply Post Reply
An ENT told you that you have positional apnea, which by the way would be an explanation for both the 89% pulse ox and the numb hands --- but they didn't think you needed cpap or talk to you about resolving your positional apnea???

CPAP on its own cannot resolve positional apnea-- think of chin tucking causing a kinked air hose and NO amount of pressure can effectively open that up.
But CPAP would help you get more air, even chin tucked, than without.
None of those surgeries or losing weight can resolve positional apnea if you don't change your sleeping position. I hope you didn't go through those surgeries *only* for apnea.

You may want to invest in a continuous O2 monitor that reports out data all night - not just an average.  I have a feeling your oxygen is getting quite low at night and having that to show to your doctor could get you a script for a better xpap machine covered by insurance. 

Wear the c-collar and read the wiki articles about chin tucking.  You have to do the work to try to resolve that if only to eliminate it as a cause for your poor sleep.
I have a feeling it's a big contributing factor but do wonder why it didn't show on the sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just took another look at that sleep report...

Supine (back) AHI 10.9
REM AHI 12.4

Those indicate disordered sleep.
If your doctors aren't helping you it's time to educate and advocate for yourself. 

The experts here could be invaluable if you get a machine that can use the OSCAR software and you post your screenshots here asking for assistance. 

Read through posts and the wiki articles, see what's helped others, gain understanding about your sleep, and figure out what steps you can take to help yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
What machine do you recommend based on my results? ASV APAP, or bipap? i see an aircurve 10 S on facebook available to buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I don't know enough to suggest a machine.

Maybe one of the experts can interpret your sleep study and make a suggestion. 

It would be cheaper to try a continuous oxygen monitor and c-collar first.

If you could just get data on your O2 sats it could offer some insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2022, 06:04 PM)SammNeedsHelp Wrote: What machine do you recommend based on my results? ASV APAP, or bipap? i see an aircurve 10 S on facebook available to buy.

i would suggest you should go just for a auto cpap just that you don't feel rested and specially when the doctor recommended you don't need a cpap
and do not buy bipap or asv those are for specific problems, resvent ibreeze would do just fine just keep an eye on the ahi and central apnea though i would also suggest to increase min pressure to 7 and keep epr at 1-2
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a resvent Ibreeze, a sleep doctor I received a second opinion from said its a completely sh*t machine. They gave it to me a year ago and my condition has improved zilch. I also didn't feel well rested with the bipap they had me use in the hospital. Like i felt better than death but not close enough to what I used to be at.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,727 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,527 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 99 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.