Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP
Angry 
Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP
So I have been on CPAP for 10 years. My CPAP machine finally died on me and no longer works. So I went online to buy a new CPAP, (paying out of pocket, no insurance) and they contacted my Dr for my prescription, and he will not give it to them! I am without a CPAP machine now and I can't sleep. They say that in order for me to have them give my prescription, they need to see me because I haven't seen them in 10 years (which is true) The problem is, it is a 3 month wait to get an office visit!!! I live in a small town, and this is the only sleep doctor around. Any ideas on what I can do?? I am miserable without my CPAP.

Oh...and this doctor also has his own sleep lab and they sell their own CPAP machines.....and when I went in that office, they would sell me one!!! But I refuse to buy it from him because he won't give me my PX to buy it online for $300 less money. This doesn't even seem ethical. What can I do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP
Welcome

As a general rule, a doctor won't write an Rx for a patient they haven't seen face to face for some period of time.
Consider if I called up a doctor I'd not seen for 10 years and asked for an Rx for a medication... I'd certainly be denied.

Check out the supplier list http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
All suppliers will require an Rx. However, there are some that can provide a home sleep test; it's reviewed by a doctor; and an Rx is issued.
You can then buy a machine and supplies. But, the home test will cost close to $300.

(And, yes, it does seem unethical that they would sell you one at the doctor's location; but not provide a copy of your former Rx.)
Some online suppliers, like #2 will accept an Rx that's some years old -- I don't know at what point it becomes "stale."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I meant Rx in my post...not Px. Sorry...
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a family practice/general practice doc you use?

Take your info, records, whatever reports you have, and talk with that one. You might get lucky and he or she will write you a new scrip for your current dosage. You can always ask first, you don't need a specific sleep doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard that even a dentist can write an Rx for CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try Supplier #30. Although they offer home sleep tests, they also offer a prescription service based on a questionaire that is reviewed by a physician for $99. That is about the quickest and least expensive way I know to get a script.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that any caring physician who heard your story would write you a prescription.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ebay or Amazon? Even if it's used, it buys you time for a new sleep study or whatever. When's the last time you bought a replacement? Even those are supposed to have a prescription. Have you tried the last place you bought a mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
A nurse practitioner or even a dentist can write a script for a cpap machine.

If you know one abit get them to write the script.
Post Reply Post Reply
KSM: Apneaboard cannot suggest that a person obtain a machine without a prescription.
Please refrain for such suggestions.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,715 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 787 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 898 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.