Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctors strike.
Some of our doctors have been going on strike recently, and I found this comment on the subject quite interesting.

A survey by George Washington University estimates 85% of a typical doctor's work can be done perfectly well by a "physicians assistant" with a fraction of the training or wages.

Post Reply Post Reply
That is why HMOs like Kaiser assign "Nurse Practioners" as the PCP for a large minority or perhaps a majority of their patients
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2016, 11:31 AM)Phill Wrote: Some of our doctors have been going on strike recently, and I found this comment on the subject quite interesting.

A survey by George Washington University estimates 85% of a typical doctor's work can be done perfectly well by a "physicians assistant" with a fraction of the training or wages.

If they're talking about the US, a PA (physician's assistant) here generally goes to a 2.5 year training program, as opposed to 4 years for an MD, and they also do post-graduate work (I don't know if it's called a residency or what, exactly.)

I have seen physician's assistants and have always found them to be good. A web search says their average salary in the US is $90-something k per year, so that is indeed a "bargain", compared to an MD.
Post Reply Post Reply

As you say GW, sounds like a bargain, not sure how the unions would handle it over here, likely to be blood on the streets.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are gradually starting to see a shortage in the (US) of full fledged Physicians. I feel that in the majority of cases that I am aware of, a (PA) Physician's Assistants or (NP) Nurse Practitioners are extremely confident. They certainly have a place in the medical field (and should be well paid) and if they feel that the subject is beyond their training, they will refer to the Physician .
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2016, 11:31 AM)Phill Wrote: Some of our doctors have been going on strike recently, and I found this comment on the subject quite interesting.

An average high school grad with a few week's training could do a better job of apnea testing, CPAP setup, and ongoing therapy adjustment than the current system does for most CPAP users. An important part of the training would be for the grad to know when to refer the data to a real doctor for further analysis.

Unfortunately, the medical mafia and doctor's union would never let it happen.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks for the interesting comments, though I am aware you have a totally different setup to us, the medical outcome for us the patient appears to vary from the good to abysmal, in much the same way ours does.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information [News] Medicare unveils far-reaching overhaul of doctors' pay ApneaNews 0 230 10-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  [News] Doctors use 3-D printer to custom-design implant for baby ApneaNews 7 2,632 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Last Post: DocWils
  Are doctors nicer to thinner patients? zonk 3 1,485 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Last Post: DocWils