Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does APAP control O2?
Does APAP control O2?
Last Night I removed my mask for 3 hours in the middle of the night. (I don't know why).
During those 3 hours my Oxygen desaturation plummeted into the <88% area about 18 times for 20 minutes.
The rest of the night (with the mask on) was relatively uneventful.

How should I interpret this event? (I know I should keep my mask on[Image: oh-jeez.gif])

[Image: eq6wmgw.jpg]
[Image: NiKPzay.jpg]
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does APAP control O2?
APAP doesn't control O2 it allows your airway to remain open so your normal breathing process can get O2.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
IMO when you control apneas via any version of CPAP therapy, it does have the ability to influence O2 levels. Without real numbers, assume a normally breathing person exchanges oxygen and carbon dioxide X times per minute. The person that has an apnea event, which is 10 seconds or longer, cannot exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide at the same rate as the normally breathing rate above. With all other things being equal, the apnea sufferer would be exchanging air 10 seconds less than the other. OK, introduce CPAP therapy to the mix, and the apnea patient being properly treated, should be able to exchange O2 and CO2 at a closer rate as the one who does not have apneas.

I may have drove us off a cliff, but my theory sounds good. And look at that view. I now therefore declare a coffee break for all. lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes a pretty good case that you need CPAP. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 12:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That makes a pretty good case that you need CPAP. Smile

It certainly got my attention!!

I am wondering if I may need some supplemental O2 because even on nights when I my mask stays on all night, I am experiencing 58.2 4 % desats events per night (on average) and have an average(in Jan ODI) of 7.4.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also lift you max pressure to 15 as it looks like it wants to rise more. and move the min to 7, around the median for now.
Also I go by the o2 chart and not the report, as that will include some glitches. The chart while on cpap looks ok. As long as the drops stay above 92%, that is in normal range. Below 88% there are issues and over 90% is ok.. The machine will mark a 3 or 4% movement as a desaturation.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand the O2 situation, less than 89% desat for 5 minutes or longer should qualify you for supplemental oxygen. That's what I have learned for myself, as I was researching to see if I qualify for it due to COPD.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 12:33 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: IMO when you control apneas via any version of CPAP therapy, it does have the ability to influence O2 levels. Without real numbers, assume a normally breathing person exchanges oxygen and carbon dioxide X times per minute. The person that has an apnea event, which is 10 seconds or longer, cannot exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide at the same rate as the normally breathing rate above. With all other things being equal, the apnea sufferer would be exchanging air 10 seconds less than the other. OK, introduce CPAP therapy to the mix, and the apnea patient being properly treated, should be able to exchange O2 and CO2 at a closer rate as the one who does not have apneas.

I may have drove us off a cliff, but my theory sounds good. And look at that view. I now therefore declare a coffee break for all.  lots-o-coffee

That sounds good to me and easily understood.
However, can I have tea instead and a cream bun as I am a greedy pig Laugh-a-lot
Oh ok, put a dash of whisky into the coffee and I will tolerate it,
Some good moonshine, that will upset my reading for tonight!   Dielaughing
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 01:17 PM)Allessio77 Wrote: It certainly got my attention!!

I am wondering if I may need some supplemental O2 because even on nights when I my mask stays on all night, I am experiencing 58.2 4 % desats events per night (on average) and have an average(in Jan ODI) of 7.4.

That is a bit low to say the least!
Follow any advice given and lets see if things improve.
Taking off a mask can happen at the start of treatment, so don't worry to much about it, just put it straight back on as soon as you find you have removed it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 969 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.