Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Anyone Take Sleep Aids?
Just wondering if there are any of you that take some type of "sleep aid" nightly to help stay asleep. 

I've been taking Tylenol PM every night for several years now, and as far as I can tell, with no ill effects. I've tried other supplements like herbs and natural treatments like melatonin with no help. 

I stopped taking the Tylenol PM a while back to see if I could get a good nights sleep without it, but I was waking up about every hour on the hour. I seem to be able to fall asleep just fine without it, but rarely stay asleep through the night. I mentioned it to my pulmonologist at the time and he said he had no problem with taking this sleep aid on a nightly basis. 

I've researched its use and found about as many pros as cons, as I'm sure I'll find here too Grin . But I thought I would throw it out for your opinions.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I take 5 mg of Melatonin about 3-4 times a week, depending upon how I feel prior to bedtime.

At times, I've taken 25 to 50 mg of Diphenhydramine HCL (generic for Benadryl) (that's the active "sleep aide" ingredient in your Tylenol PM) when I have a lot going on the following day and I absolutely need a good night's sleep.

Unless you have pain, I would assume that it's likely better to take Diphenhydramine alone, rather than Tylenol PM, which also contains acetaminophen for pain.

It's also cheap for me to buy a bottle of 365 25mg tablets of Diphenhydramine (generic at WalMart). I think it's about $8 or so and lasts me a long time.

I've heard no negatives of using Melatonin, however there are varying opinions on using Diphenhydramine on a regular basis. I try not to use it unless I'm in dire need of a lot of sleep.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been an insomniac for more years than I can count.  I’ve pretty much tried every over the counter sleep aid with limited success. Including the two mentioned plus melatonin.

My doctor has prescribed Ambien/Zolpidem at 10 mg but I try to go as long as possible between usage despite my doctor telling me not to worry and use it nightly.

He has also prescribed Trazodone 50 mg nightly to quiet the brain noise.

He said they act differently and I can take both if I wanted.

The Ambien/Zolpidem leaves me a bit groggy and the Trazodone leaves my vision blurry the next day.

Before CPAP a restless night would leave me almost unable to function.

On CPAP (2 months now) I can function despite having a restless night 

I’m slowly working to quit Ambian/Zolpidem and looking for more natural sleep aids but it is a work in progress.

Still wrestling with CPAP Mask, tube, and leaks at night which wake me up fairly often except when I take the Ambian/Zolpidem

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck and  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2017, 07:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: It's also cheap for me to buy a bottle of 365 25mg tablets of Diphenhydramine (generic at WalMart).  I think it's about $8 or so and lasts me a long time.

Thanks for that info, SuperSleeper. I had no idea you could buy the diphenhydramine separately. I'll look for it next time I'm at Wally World.
Post Reply Post Reply
CZOscar, I've had terrible luck with any prescribed sleep medicines. I tried Ambien after surgery a few years ago and I had horrible nightmares. I've come to find out that this is a common side effect of many prescription meds. I hope most people who do use these aids, do NOT have this problem.

My son takes Trazodone, but he is ADHD and it helps him greatly. 

I think I might give melatonin another try with the antihistamine found in Tylenol PM.

Best of luck with your therapy, and sleep well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Alteril is another OTC sleep aid.  The three primary ingredients in Alteril are L-Tryptophan, Melatonin and Valerian.  I would post the FAQ's but we are not supposed to link stuff on this site.  Just go to Alteril at their dot-com site and you can read about it.  (Mods-  hope that was OK... it is not the actual link, but rather information on how one can go search it on their own.)

I see you are in Florida.  Did your state recently pass medical MJ?   I have friends who have a red card and use a vaporizer with CBD extract drops.  This is supposedly the active ingredient without the THC and does not give the "high" feelings or sensations.  I am not advocating this, just offering it up as a possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2017, 09:57 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: Alteril is another OTC sleep aid.  
Thanks. I'll look into that.
Post Reply Post Reply
upsman - the WalMart version of Diphenhydramine is the "Equate" brand, and it's simply called "Allergy Relief" (in a clear bottle with a pink top & label).
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 02:32 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: upsman - the WalMart version of Diphenhydramine is the "Equate" brand, and it's simply called "Allergy Relief" (in a clear bottle with a pink top & label).

Thanks, SuperSleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Hi All,
Have found a herbal that works for me called Sedasleep.  Has passiflora incarnata & humulus lupulus.  A herbal that leaves me groggy next day is valerian.  Also I don't drink coffee after 11a.m.
Another thing that works is just a drop of lavender oil on the end of the pillow.  A very old favourite.
Rest easy!
Amethyst in Oz
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hearing Aids justMongo 13 2,042 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear