Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does CPAP Make Apnea Worse Without Pump?
Does CPAP Make Apnea Worse Without Pump?
I was just wondering... Does using the pump for years make it worse or better when sleeping without a pump?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does CPAP Make Apnea Worse Without Pump?
I believe that once I became accustomed to using CPAP, that I felt worse than ever without it. I think it does train you to become more dependent on it, but that's just my assumption from when I have traveled without it. I don't plan to go without it anymore, vacations aren't as fun when I feel like a zombie.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that like a frog in a kettle of progressively warm water, we slide into apnea without being aware of how much it is affecting us. Toss the frog into an already boiling pot, and that is what it's like to return to the land of untreated. Much harder to endure any pain when you know the cause and how to alleviate it, than when it is just something you have learned to live with!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi player,
I find myself not wanting to be without my machine, even when I take naps.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with trish6hundred. I start to get a panic feeling if I even think I may have to do without......
Which reminds me, I need to look into buying a battery backup! Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 11:25 AM)DariaVader Wrote: I think that like a frog in a kettle of progressively warm water, we slide into apnea without being aware of how much it is affecting us. Toss the frog into an already boiling pot, and that is what it's like to return to the land of untreated. Much harder to endure any pain when you know the cause and how to alleviate it, than when it is just something you have learned to live with!

I agree with this. When I think back to the time of diagnosis I remember I was shocked to learn that I had OSA. Even though I had all the symptoms and my sleep was really broken, I had ramped into it gradually I guess. Once I knew what the symptoms meant to my health and began therapy I did not want to go back. Now I am very anxious about suffering those same symptoms that I had previously ignored. I use it always and have battery backup and an extra machine.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
That would explain some of it, but if small pressure changes in therapy have such an impact while using the device, and require adjustment time, then going back to zero would have an even greater effect to the negative, wouldnt it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 04:04 PM)MobileBasset Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 11:25 AM)DariaVader Wrote: I think that like a frog in a kettle of progressively warm water, we slide into apnea without being aware of how much it is affecting us. Toss the frog into an already boiling pot, and that is what it's like to return to the land of untreated. Much harder to endure any pain when you know the cause and how to alleviate it, than when it is just something you have learned to live with!

I agree with this. When I think back to the time of diagnosis I remember I was shocked to learn that I had OSA. Even though I had all the symptoms and my sleep was really broken, I had ramped into it gradually I guess. Once I knew what the symptoms meant to my health and began therapy I did not want to go back. Now I am very anxious about suffering those same symptoms that I had previously ignored. I use it always and have battery backup and an extra machine.

Due to a really bad cold with severe congestion in my nose I very recently found it impossible to use my APAP two consecutive nights in a row!

A double-whammy- felt 'rotten' the following days without it.

First night back on (still ill) my numbers were not good: 4.25 hours of CPAP with AHI of 8.0, 18 aps and 17 hyps; pulse oximeter recorded 184 Sp02 events and 176 pulse events, but I did not feel all that bad- certainly better than without CPAP!

Post Reply Post Reply
I've always been concerned the added pressure stretches muscles and other tissue. Today I can't sleep without a machine (recent sleep study confirmed I was unable to fall asleep. Whether that is empirical evidence a machine is making my apnea worse; or, empirical evidence my apnea is simply getting worse as I age; well, that is a good question I can't answer due to lack of a clone to compare to.

Would I - knowing what I know - avoid treatment due to a possible side effect? Probably not -- though surgery would be a little less off-the-table (I still have tonsils & adenoids).
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no reason to sleep or nap without my PAP
PAP therapy is a treatment, not a cure

Apnea return whenever sleeping without PAP
Use PAP and keep Apnea at bay

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 557 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 587 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 325 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 214 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.