Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does CPAP also treat central sleep apnea (csa)?
RE: Does CPAP also treat central sleep apnea (csa)?
Help me understand how this applies to the OP right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
He is trying to understand how his central apnea improved from 8 pre CPAP to 3 post CPAP. The answer to his question is yes, the CPAP is treating his central apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
And without seeing any charts I'm not attributing the difference to anything.

It is IMHO that the difference is much more likely to be the expected decrease in CA that comes with time as the body adjusts to the improved ventilation that occurs with CPAP..
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thankyou for welcoming me and all the feedback.

My view:
1] I agree with the posts that say I would need to know the variability of CA events to say anything about the influence of CPAP. I only have one measurment from the sleep test. I would also want to be sure the sleep test and CPAP device is measuring CA events in the same ​way. With the sleep test I remember oxygen levels being measured in the finger and having a band around the waist. Could this be more sensitive to picking up central hypnopea/apnea events?

2] I am aware of a "big data" study that concluded there were 3 types of CA progression groups during CPAP use: persistent (majority of people), emergent, and declining. I think the CA was measured by the CPAP device itself, so says nothing about the impact of using CPAP itself on CA .

I can find very little (none Smile )research articles on the initial impact of CPAP use on CA. These articles must exist...
Post Reply Post Reply
During a diagnostic sleep test chest and stomach bands are used to measure breathing effort. No breathing effort, no expansion is a sign of central apnea. Obviously CPAP devices do not have this. Instead CPAPS use various techniques to send pressure pulses as a kind of "sonar" to see if an obstruction/restriction is present, lack of this indicates a Central event vs an obstructive event. Additionally a sleep test uses either, there are 2 standards, a 3% or a 4% reduction in O2 SATs as needed to classify an event as an Apnea. The CPAP devices evaluation of being central is considered acceptable indication of a Central Apnea. Another significant difference is that sleep tests monitor your sleep state and CPAPS do not. It is not considered Sleep apnea unless you are asleep.

On the 3 forms, persistent,Emergent, and declining, nearly everyone has a few, I'll say based on my observations here, insignificant number of central Apneas. The majority of those with significant persistent Apnea are on ASV and as such do not exhibit any significant persistent central apnea. By far the most significant central apnea we see is Emergent. Over time this form often declines so I am quite confused about the difference you describe as Emergent and declining, Treatment Emergent Central Apneas are often managed by avoidance techniques vs treatment techniques. Avoidance techniques include minimizing pressure differentials and higher pressures. Note that these avoidance techniques also tend to increase obstructive events.

I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2022, 12:23 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi LetMezz!  -  Welcome

The CAs you are experiencing could be treatment induced.  CAs can occur by having CO2 washout.  If they are less than 20 seconds per event, then I would see if they diminish as your treatment continues over time.  

- Red

I'm still fairly new to therapy myself (2 months in), but I wanted to note that my treatment-induced CA's routinely lasted longer than 20 seconds, and have greatly subsided over the last two months on APAP therapy (CAI > 10 some days during the first 2-3 weeks of treatment, w/ occurrences lasting 5-40 seconds. During the last month my CAI is below 2.5, and their duration is consistently 10 seconds or less).

Stick with it OP, those CAs will hopefully subside over the coming months.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope they do subside but unless I'm mistaken the OP had ca in the sleep study; i.e., without cpap. that suggests they aren't treatment emergent or pressure induced. just not enough to worry about.

apparently I got mixed up with the event numbers. it was 13oa, 8ca not 3 and 8 as I mistakenly said above.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of the studies are related to heart failure patients but many of the same basics still apply.

Here is a literature review and meta analysis on the subject.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22215916/

Here is an abstract for the pharyngeal narrowing, no free link to article though.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7649916/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 214 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.