Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does CPAP cure snoring?
Does CPAP cure snoring?
I did not want to hijack the other snoring thread.

Can CPAP therapy if dialed in properly, cure snoring?

Is it even possible to snore when using CPAP and either pillows or mask?

I sleep alone so I do not know what sounds if any that I make while abed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does CPAP cure snoring?
It can alleviate the symptom. "Treated" is a better term than "Cure"... "Cure" implies that the condition is eliminated and therapy is no longer needed.

While obstructive events nearly always terminate with a snore, snoring in and of itself does not always indicate an apnea event.
In my case, my snoring was so extreme that neighbors were pounding on the walls and my wife and I were concerned about cessation of breathing, however, my sleep study only reported mild apnea. I ended up having to do a total of 3 nights to log numbers that were serious enough to warrant a prescription for CPAP equipment.

BUT... Yes, my (and my wife's) snoring has significantly reduced to the point that we can say that we are "fully treated"
We no longer wake each other up, I no longer wake myself up except perhaps for a few "snorks" when first going to sleep and the machine is still ramping up to my therapy pressure.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a snore index nearly all machines use. You can look at it and see how you are doing.

And no, it did not fix mine. It is much much much much less than it was before, but I still snore. Usually when I am really tired, or have taken certain medications, or am on my back (which happens often). Oh, and allergy season. And when I am not using the humidifier.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is an app on Android called "SnoreLab". I really recommend the use of the app if you are a snorer to verify any improvement via therapy. It monitors your snoring throughout the night, provides graphs and gives you a "SnoreScore". This is how I realised that I might have an apnea problem...
Post Reply Post Reply
It might not stop you snoring if you use a Nasal mask as you can switch to breathing through your mouth, this will allow air to escape and allow yu to snore again.  I have known some people to use CPAP at a fixed pressure )which a cpcp machine would ve) to help stop snoring and it has been very effective.  Snoring is usually part of Sleep Apnea suffers problems and after we get the right pressure the snoring usually stops.
I did say usually!   To get effective treatment, snoring would usually stop on Sleep Apnea.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
According to my long-suffering mate; CPAP has reduced my snoring to negligible; however, my thrashing about violently in my sleep has remained unchanged.
YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.   So,  is it reasonable to deduce that snoring with a mask is possible but using nasal pillows it is negligible?

I am more curious because a few weeks ago, my brother and I had to drive to a family event which required us spitting hotel rooms.  He snores SO bad that I slept with ear plugs as well as a pillow over my head!   I could imagine that it could be heard in the next room over!  BUT...

...he had to audacity to tell me that I snore!  I told him that it would be impossible because I use nasal pillows and snoring would require me to open my mouth which would instantly wake me.  Unless, that is, my snoring was one of those more-quiet, deep-back-in-the-upper-sinus types then I do not envision how I could snore.  He never said that it was disturbing or that it kept HIM awake...  he just more casually said that I snore.

I do not have a phone suitable to run apps, it is an old and sturdy flip phone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always snored closed with my mouth shut. Which frustrated everyone around me because waking me to make me shut my trap wasn't a solution.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 02:01 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: Thanks for the replies.   So,  is it reasonable to deduce that snoring with a mask is possible but using nasal pillows it is negligible?
Snoring can happen either way.  An open mouth is not a "requirement" for snoring...  I used to fall asleep sitting in my chair watching Netflix and I would catch myself snoring with my mouth closed. 
The deafening, room-rattling, thunderous snores would typically be amplified by an open-mouth, but the structures that cause the snore are in the throat.  Mouth-breathing on CPAP can tend to bring on snoring simply due to the loss of support pressure and the machine being unable to keep up with the leak.

Bro's response that you snore is a typical defensive response that many people come back with when it is pointed out that they snore.   They take offense, knowing that it is bad and being frustrated that they can't do anything about it, so they deflect it back at the "accuser".
My wife did the same thing, and unfortunately, we often do not actually hear our own snoring (but we may suffer hearing loss due to the constant exposure to the sound level), so we don't realize that we are the source of a noise that may have awakened us.

Sounds like your brother would benefit from a sleep study.   If you have apnea, chances are that he does as well.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You'll know you are snoring, and about how loud, often, and when, by looking at the SleepyHead charts.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 932 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 199 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.