Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does CPAP cure snoring?
RE: Does CPAP cure snoring?
(02-25-2018, 02:01 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: Thanks for the replies.   So,  is it reasonable to deduce that snoring with a mask is possible but using nasal pillows it is negligible?

I am more curious because a few weeks ago, my brother and I had to drive to a family event which required us spitting hotel rooms.  He snores SO bad that I slept with ear plugs as well as a pillow over my head!   I could imagine that it could be heard in the next room over!  BUT...

...he had to audacity to tell me that I snore!  I told him that it would be impossible because I use nasal pillows and snoring would require me to open my mouth which would instantly wake me.  Unless, that is, my snoring was one of those more-quiet, deep-back-in-the-upper-sinus types then I do not envision how I could snore.  He never said that it was disturbing or that it kept HIM awake...  he just more casually said that I snore.

I do not have a phone suitable to run apps, it is an old and sturdy flip phone.

The data on your machine can prove whether or not you snored.  It's possible to snore with CPAP, even if you don't open your mouth.  Your machine will record the vibrations through the flow sensors, so if you did snore, we could rat you out.  On the other hand, it's a lot more likely he was just hearing himself.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does CPAP cure snoring?
I'm in agreement with others above as stated. Snoring can be treated via the CPAP therapy, IMO on some it more or less is silenced. Others, I think I am included in this area, have their snoring severely minimized. I can see a few every once and a while when looking at the SleepyHead chart.

Referencing CB91710 and his comment on the claim from your brother, I have seen the same between an aunt and my mother. When that issue comes up, I typically find an excuse to go get coffee somewhere else, because I had mentioned CPAP would help. Dave dodges claws and runs to get coffee.

I could be way off base, but it seems to fall under the similar thing as AHI. Your AHI is treated if it falls below 5.0. Maybe snores that fall under a certain number per hour are deemed treated.

Speaking of coffee:

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,014 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,796 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 256 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,711 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 265 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 458 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 987 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.