Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does CPAP therapy extend life expectancy
Does CPAP therapy extend life expectancy
Has anyone seen a study concerning whether or not using CPAP therapy extends life expectancy?  I realize that all of us using the therapy enjoy a better night's sleep.  But does that translate into an increase of one's life expectancy?  I often wonder if our lungs and air passages having being exposed to a low level of increased air pressure for 8 hours out of every day, is harmful to our health?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does CPAP therapy extend life expectancy
I haven't seen anything of that nature, but it would be extremely tenuous to infer that those using CPAP devices live longer.  Longer than what, or whom?  Longer than their untreated selves...well that one is almost a no-brainer because it tends to reduce or to retard the onset and impact of heart disease, diabetes, sleep disruption, hypertension, obesity, etc.  

Almost a no-brainer isn't quite the same as a sure thing, though.  CPAP isn't universally adapted to by all who are told to use it.   It's surprising how many apparently successfully treated CPAP users report no improvement in their diurnal fatigue, brain fog, weight gain, disrupted sleep, and so on.  I would think that, under those subjective indices, people would still be under stress, have elevated cortisol, have suppressed immune response, and probably still need medication for blood pressure.

So, although I am not able to cite a reference (someone here probably CAN...), successful PAP therapy will almost certainly extend life expectancy for those who accept the diagnosis, who adapt to, and who conform to, the exigencies of properly prescribed PAP therapy, and who go on to live responsibly with exercise, weight monitoring, proper sleep, who don't abuse substances that alter mood, reality, or inhibitions, and who maintain robust and enduring relationships with at least one other person.

That's as far as I'm willing to go.  I can't say if it'll buy you another six months or six years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a little googling, because I realized I'm curious what the answer to this question is. Lo and behold:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaoto...le/2730379

"In this cohort study of 392 patients with obesity and severe obstructive sleep apnea with 11 years of follow-up, we found that prescription of PAP therapy was associated with a 62% lower risk of all-cause mortality compared with nonprescription of PAP, independent of major confounders."
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo

Many thanks for your cited study.  Very interesting. 

I think there are a great many people out there suffering from sleep apnea, that have no idea of their condition.  For many years, my wife told me that I had a sleep problem, but I ignored it because I always felt great when i awoke the next morning.  When I finally decided to have a sleep test, i found to my surprise that I was having 56 events per hour.  Practically nonstop. My sleep doctor ( who is Board Certified in sleep medicine), tells me that everyone has sleep apnea to a certain degree.  The only exception, is skinny young women.  It is widely undiagnosed.  That probably means that a large portion of the population is missing out on valuable treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife threatened to kill me a number of times before CPAP solved my snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2020, 06:55 AM)sleepyp Wrote: My wife threatened to kill me a number of times before CPAP solved my snoring.

Now THAT is funny!  Too-funny
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dormeo.  I appreciate your willingness, and skills, in finding this important information.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 967 3 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 8 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.