Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What about recovery after anesthesia?
What about recovery after anesthesia?
I am about to have two procedures a week apart. During the procedure I am not overly concerned because they will be monitoring me closely, but in the recovery room I know from previous experience I will be alone much of the time during recovery. If I am on my back, without my CPAP and still full of anesthesia I am worried my breathing reflex will also be slowed making my apnea periods last longer. Has anyone experienced this. I plan to discuss with my doctor but I am concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What about recovery after anesthesia?
Normally they have you bring in your machine and mask so you can use it in recovery. If they don't say anything to you I'd bring bring it anyway.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If in doubt, take it with you. Make sure that you use masking tape and put your last name and phone number on every piece (including both parts of the power brick).

They chose to sit my brother up and monitor his oxygen. They just left oxygen on me. However, neither of us have a cpap due to apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pointing to a thread where I relayed my experience during a knee replacement.  I believe it pertains to this thread as well.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...experience
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just on oxygen until I was moved up to my room.  Prior to that, the O2 sensor thing was almost constantly beeping, alerting to low O2.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The nurses wont really care so you should have someone by you that does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to the anesthesiologist before your procedure.  They are the ones that will monitor you during surgery.  Be sure that person knows your concerns and that you have Sleep Apnea.

Tell anyone who will listen (doctors, nurses, anesthesiologist) that a family member or friend has your Cpap if needed during recovery.

You may not need it, but is best to have it with you.  Also, be sure whoever is with you knows how to operate the machine and help put your mask on correctly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll ditto those that said bring your xPAP with you so that you have it there at surgery recovery and it will be there when you need it. Pack your humidifier dry to prevent any leaks. And as OpalRose stated, talk to the anesthesiologist about your apnea condition and the presence of your machine. He/she may tube you during procedure if needed for breathing.

I recently took my ASV for 2 separate overnight hospital stays. In my case, a building maintenance guy "certified" it as safe to plug the ResMed ASV into his building's electrical outlet via a visual power cord integrity test.
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't rely on just telling everyone that you have sleep apnea and use cpap. Surprisingly few medical/nursing professionals really appreciate the consequences. The anaesthesiologist is responsible in the OR and during your time in the Recovery area, even if a CRNA actually administers the anaesthesia. You should have a brief "interview" by the anaesthesiologist immediately pre-op. Emphasize that you need the cpap post-op and that you have brought the equipment with you. I have found surgeons and their PAs to be especially cavalier about cpap. It's almost as meaningless to them as saying you have a hangnail. Ask (very firmly if you have any doubt they are paying attention) that the surgeon write an order that the nurses on the floor where you will be transferred after Recovery set up the cpap you have brought or, even better, write for respiratory therapy consultation for applying your equipment.

Have someone who loves you, or at least likes you a lot, in attendance at your bedside as often as possible.

My cynicism  is from my experience three times at a major medical center teaching hospital, including one that has a huge, dedicated Sleep Medicine center where I received my diagnosis and treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 342 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia Jen0628jen 4 460 09-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: car54
  Physical exertion recovery time after CPAP for a few months buzallen 7 847 03-08-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What happens to CSA people under general anesthesia ? Do we just stop breathing? S. Manz 18 2,399 10-19-2021, 04:57 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  BiPAP postop recovery deserttech25 3 6,646 09-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleep Apnea & Anesthesia Advice andycc 12 1,963 02-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Last Post: JWood
  Anesthesia management for CSA? kisekishiawase 13 1,625 02-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.