Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does FFM Pressure need to be higher compared to nasal pillows?
Does FFM Pressure need to be higher compared to nasal pillows?
I've been using the ResMed F20 for 3 days now. I very much like it better than the N20 because I mouth breathe quite a bit. The nasal mask would wake me up multiple times a night due to the leaf blower effect when I was mouth breathing. The F20 is much better for me - no issues at all with leaking. I've noticed though that my AHI is coming in around 3 with the FFM, and I"ve woken up from them the past 2 nights.

The pressure definitely does not feel as intense as when I was using the nasal pillows, even w/the same pressure settings. Does FFMs require higher pressure to achieve the same results as nasal pillows?

Here are the last two nights. Thinking I'll up the min. pressure to 9 and max to 12 for tonight. I also dropped the ERP from 3 to 2 last night, seemed to help a very small amount.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does FFM Pressure need to be higher compared to nasal pillows?
No, but you need to set the machine to the type of mask you are now using.
Go into the settings by holding in the big round button and the long one at the bottom for a few seconds.
When display changes, go into options and look for mask type, change it to the type of mask you are now using.
To change display and select, turn large know and press to select.
Do not adjust anything else when you are in there until you know what you are adjusting.
To come back out of this, go to top and press round button until display returns to normal.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
From personal use I've found that there can be a 1cm to 2cm difference in minimum pressure required between pillow masks and full face masks. I'd assume the same is true for nasal masks. An example would be using the P10 pillow mask I require 10cm minimum and with the F20 I require 12cm minimum pressure to get the same results.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
When you adjust the setting for the mask type the machine automatically adjusts the pressure to compensate for the pressure differences due to mask type.

I think your problem is that you need a higher pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 11:35 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: No, but you need to set the machine to the type of  mask you are now using.
Go into the settings by holding in the big round button and the long one at the bottom for a few seconds.
When display changes, go into options and look for mask type, change it to the type of mask you are now using.
To change display and select, turn large know and press to select.
Do not adjust anything else when you are in there until you know what you are adjusting.
To come back out of this, go to top and press round button until display returns to normal.
Thanks. I did adjust the settings to Full mask from pillows before the switch to FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 11:53 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: From personal use I've found that there can be a 1cm to 2cm difference in minimum pressure required between pillow masks and full face masks. I'd assume the same is true for nasal masks.  An example would be using the P10 pillow mask I require 10cm minimum and with the F20 I require 12cm minimum pressure to get the same results.

Sounds good. I’ll increase tonight and see how it goes. I’m loving the FFM. Feel great today even with the apneas and some minimal arousals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Different mask volumes make a difference.  A nasal pillow vs a full face mask will be in the order of ten times the volume for the larger mask.  The volume, itself, represents a buffer for pressure adjustment with the lesser volume being more sensitive to continued flow once the desired pressure is achieved by the apparatus.  With a given fan speed, but in the smaller mask, the desired pressure is reached in far shorter time, and the overshoot stands to be considerably greater while the fan reduces speed and flow in response.  The net effect in a larger volume is much less where the slowing fan's output is more easily accommodated by the mass of air and will have less of an overshoot effect.  Means fewer leaks for one thing.

I am not sufficiently educated or knowledgeable of the device and software to know to what extent this factor has a bearing, but it seems likely to me that it is a consideration.
Post Reply Post Reply
With f10 ffm my average pressure was Close to 9 and went as far as 14 at times.

Now I sleep with a fixed 7 with my p10.

Ymmv
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,434 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.