Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Humidifier know when its out of water?
RE: Does Humidifier know when its out of water?
Definite maybe. If my machine is on auto, then it will not go dry. If I have it on manual (to get continuous moist air steam), then it will run dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2018, 03:23 PM)oldfart59 Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 12:57 AM)PollCat Wrote: I actually scorched the bottom of my tank because I inadvertently went to sleep one night without refilling the tank!  Bag-head

yup, Been there, did that. Now I have a stain on the bottom of the tank. My question now is, does anyone know how to remove that burnt plastic smell? I have it continuously now! And that is another reason I look like my Avatar in the morning.
Coffee

The rainbow color on the bottom of the tank is common metal tempering. If the plastic was damaged, that would be unusual since the heater does not normally get hot enough to damage it.  A replacement humidifier tanks for the Resmed costs less than $22.00, so the best policy is just replace it, or inform your DME you want a replacement under insurance.  This is considered a normal wear part and Medicare will replace it on a 6 month interval.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess that would solve the burnt smell issue
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always a good idea to have an extra humidifier chamber. You never know when one might fail.

If your power supply is anywhere near your machine's air intake, move it away. That has also been known to cause "hot" smells.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Uhmmm you are supposed to empty the tank, clean it and let it dry every day. Otherwise it will build bacteria that believe me you don't need in your lungs. I discovered this the hard way, the solution - wash gently and dry every day, put in the dishwasher every other day. But my water tank is dishwasher safe so I don't know about the others.
Post Reply Post Reply
A soak in vinegar helps remove the burned up grossness.

If my tank goes dry, it smells like burned popcorn, and the only thing that removes it is a long soak in vinegar. So if that happens, I'm awake for the day. Major bummer. So I bought a 2nd tank (on Amazon), that way if I wake up to a burned smell I can switch it out with a new one and go back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just top off my tank every day and only drain it and wash it every few weeks. I've never seen any sign of microbial growth and I'm a microbiologist. I'm sure they are there but the numbers and species are not a threat (at least in my case). We inhale bacteria constantly every day. You probably inhale more waterborne bugs in the shower than from your CPAP.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman, at first I was doing like you but then one day while scrubbing the tank with antibacterial soap I realised that there is a transparent microfilm just between the metal plate and the plastic that was not getting off from the soapy scrub with my finger. So I decided to try and scrub with a wooden toothpick, then it started to came off and it became green!!! I don't know what this was but only the dish washer managed to remove it completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to add... I think your bedroom's humidity can affect how quickly your humidifier's reservoir empties.

I used to live in a humid climate (and our house was humid), and I could go 3 nights before thinking of refilling the reservoir.

Now I live in a very dry climate, and I have to refill the reservoir each night. Even then, if I sleep too long, it'll run dry and wake me up with the burnt popcorn smell. This is why I bought a 2nd tank - so I can quickly fill that one up, slide it in, and go back to sleep. (I can't sleep with a burnt popcorn smelling one, even if I put more water into it.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 101 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,082 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 355 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 148 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 187 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,921 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.