Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Medicare Require a Yearly Visit with Sleep Doctor?
RE: Does Medicare Require a Yearly Visit with Sleep Doctor?
(08-31-2018, 01:01 PM)sronsen Wrote: I just had my second sleep study in 18 years, and only because my PCP changed practice and the group he previously belonged to lost my original sleep study (probably because it was never digitized) and the sleep clinic moved and destroyed all their old records (grrrr!).  Needed the study only because it was time for Medicare to pick up the tab on a new machine.  BTW, an 18+ year old study was fine with them. 

This is why we tell everybody to get a copy of your original study plus the report.  You should get it for everything.  Most places dump records after 7 years and hospital records, even though they are kept forever, can still be lost.  I get a copy of each scan I get or my brother gets and file it in a box.   Helps when they need to compare something from 4 years ago that may not be easily available today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare regulations require a physician compliance report every TWO years if you want Medicare to pay for your supplies. If you want to just pay for your supplies yourself, you don't need to see sleep doc at all.

However, that does not address your need for certification of compliance with CDL. Don't confuse Medicare with CDL requirements.
Everyone has a bad hair day once in a while.  Same with a night on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME sends my wife and me a reminder each year that they need a certification from our Primary Care doc that we using our machines and we are benefiting from them. During our yearly Med check he asks a series of questions and forwards the cert to the DME and I assume to Medicare. He has said in the past that it is required by Medicare. I will see him for the med check in a few weeks and verify whether or not it is a Medicare requirement.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2018, 01:01 PM)sronsen Wrote: I just had my second sleep study in 18 years, and only because my PCP changed practice and the group he previously belonged to lost my original sleep study (probably because it was never digitized) and the sleep clinic moved and destroyed all their old records (grrrr!). 

Just wanted to tell you (and others) that you ALWAYS get copies of your medical records! Don't blame the doctor if they don't retain things forever.  Most only retain records for 7 years.  Get a copy of it.  Get a copy of your Xrays (they put them right on DVDs now).  My neighbor lost all her medical records when her hospital was destroyed by a tornado.  So, don't rely on others to manage what you can do yourself.  Use a scanner and store a second set offsite on a flashdrive.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,724 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 204 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.