Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Medicare Require a Yearly Visit with Sleep Doctor?
My sleep doc said I need to check in once a year--Medicare guidelines.  I see him next month--trying to get him to sign off on my medical release so I don't have to deal with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles anymore.  He said last year he needed to see me anyway and left my recertification at 12 months.  Need some ammunition to convince him!  I have 100% compliance for 2.5 years, last years AHI under 1.0, currently 30 day AHI 0.3, thanks to the help gained on this forum.  No more sleepy driving!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
when the doctor (re)certifies you he is assuming responsibility against his medical license and financial well-being. instead of trying to convince him to do something different, talk to him and see why he does what he does.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Last year he smilingly said it was because I had to come in anyway for Medicare.we'll see this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare does not require a yearly visit. Why would they? The machine is paid for by then. Or has just a month left. I've not seen my sleep doc in...wow, I guess 8 yrs? Ten? My GP writes my once-every-six-years script for the machine and gear. I have Medicare and Medicaid.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Paula--that's what I thought. Tried called Medicare but was on forever hold and gave up!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Your primary doctor can assume all of your CPAP care. Although this is not required for Medicare, it can be helpful to have an annual discussion as part of your wellness exam, and you can even drop a compliance report for the past year for him to add to your records. What keeps your Medicare account active is the continued ordering of supplies and mask replacements through your DME. Once you have a machine, Medicare is not going to take it away. Having copies of past sleep reports, and an ongoing medical record in the form of an annual discussion with your primary doctor is more than enough to avoid hassles when you need to replace the machine. I have not seen a sleep doctor since 2008. This sounds like someone looking to make work.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you have a CDL license you will need to verify cpap compliance every year at your physical... but medicare doesn't care once your initial compliance is met. If this is the dr. you use for supplies then he will want to see you each year before blindly giving out prescriptions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Doctor Visit Frequency samfromnj 17 392 04-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: samfromnj
  BiPap taken away/Medicare rules RMOrion 8 695 03-18-2018, 02:52 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Help! Need new sleep doctor recommendations? KatyDid 3 211 03-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Results input sought before visit to (untrustworthy) DME on Tuesday DougM 11 498 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  [CPAP] AHI increased after doctor increases pressure 2nd time ppk8 14 626 02-20-2018, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Does any listed supplier take Medicare assignments for DME? 2SleepBetta 2 211 02-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  doctor can't provide prescription to patient? odoyle 35 1,329 02-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Last Post: mesenteria