Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does My Mask Fit Properly(?)
Does My Mask Fit Properly(?)
Hi All,
I'm not familiar with things to check for when looking at mask fitment and therapy effectiveness, so I figure you all can help me if I publish the results from sleepyhead. I would like to know if I need to change my mask or my settings need to be revisited by my doctor. I'm currently using a nasal pillow.

[Image: TyNikMg.png]
[Image: cmN4wvO.png]

TIA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does My Mask Fit Properly(?)
A leak rate graph should be nearly a horizontal line. Yours goes up and down quite a bit indicating that you're leaking. This can mess up a good night's sleep. Make sure your nasal mask fits well. Try a chin strap. If that doesn't work, a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Sleepster, thanks for your response. I was wearing a chin strap during the recording chart shown below. I have been wearing it for at least 3 weeks now actually. I guess this means that I'm fighting through it. A full faced mask might be a better fit for me.

Thanks, I will visit the CPAP office to get fitted for a full mask. Are there any specific ones that come highly recommended? I came across discussions on this board talking about Amaraview and Simplus masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 04:56 PM)SkinTone Wrote: A full faced mask might be a better fit for me.

Sometimes a chin strap can help with a full face mask as well if you tend to get a dry mouth.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 05:47 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 04:56 PM)SkinTone Wrote: A full faced mask might be a better fit for me.

Sometimes a chin strap can help with a full face mask as well if you tend to get a dry mouth.

I don't get a dry mouth when I wake. And the only times my nose feel irritated and/or stuffy is when I fail to fill the humidifier chamber.

The other thing is , I use a nasal cushion. After a bit of reading, I realize there are nasal cushions, nasal pillows, and nasal prongs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal "cushions" are normally just called nasal masks. They fit completely over the nose but just the nose.
Nasal pillows fit just onto and/or just into the nostrils, forming a seal.
Nasal prongs are just like the cannulas they use in the hospital when a patient is on oxygen. No clue how they work to maintain positive airway pressure.

Full face masks (FFM) cover the nose and the mouth.
Total full face masks cover the nose, mouth, cheeks, and eyes.
Oral masks are like SCUBA diver's mouth pieces. The nose is held closed.
Hybrid masks are part nasal pillows, part FFM. Instead of covering the nose, they have the nasal pillows.

Then there are chin straps, mask liners, pads. Strap covers, hose covers.

The trick is to find which one of all of these is right for you. Each person is different due to sleep patterns, face shape, and tolerance level.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula that was absolutely comprehensive. THANK YOU! I sent an email to the CPAP office letting them know I need a mask change. I have gotten used to the nasal cushion (mask), but after posting the sleepy head data here in this thread it looks like I keep leaking.

I have tried a medium and a large. No luck. The nasal pillow I used is uncomfortablessed and irritates my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Unable to get my BiPap treatment even started properly FrustratedSleeper 6 476 11-18-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Resmed 10 Vpap doesnt properly record sleep data elijah1223 7 1,137 01-28-2022, 11:37 AM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  DreamStation Humidifier Functioning Properly? khw210 5 1,189 02-12-2021, 05:53 PM
Last Post: khw210
  [Pressure] Can't get the ramp function to work properly MacMcwilliams46 2 1,310 01-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.