Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does No One Listen (there is no Cure!)
Does No One Listen (there is no Cure!)
I was reading an article today and came across this little beauty:

Quote:Weight loss

At over weight people, the soft tissue within their mouth as well as the rear of the throat will get some unwanted fatty deposits. This causes pressure on the airway and the chance that the airway passage collapse will increase. Try losing weight gradually is worth trying to get rid of that unwanted fatty deposits and finally, free yourself from sleep apnea.

"Free yourself from Sleep Apnea" Where do these people get their info from. They make it sound like we have a cold or we need to drop a waist or dress size due to being overweight. It really gets my goat when people think they know what they are talking about and clearly they dont. Dont be fooled into thinking that one day you will be free of this because it doesnt happen. What you can do is help your Apnea but never cure.

Now Im not trying to scare people here because weight loss, excersise and many other things do help its just finding the right path that is good for you, I just wish that people would get the right information before giving out advise on medical websites thats clearly incorrect.

Moan over, normal service will resume shortly Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does No One Listen (there is no Cure!)
Well, it is possible in some cases to cure sleep apnea by losing weight. Also by surgery. I agree with you, though. It really chaps me when people, often people in authority, give this type of one-size-fits-all advice.

I've seen so-called doctors on TV state that your sinus problems can be cured by salt-water rinses taken twice-daily for two weeks. Sure, that'll help some people, but it's not a cure for everyone.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see those same sort of claims in advertisements over on this side of the pond, dreamcatcher. What comes to mind are small ads that appear on the intro Yahoo page that I see when about to sign into my e-mail account. I haven't specifically noticed the lose weight with our product approach, but I see ads that tout some product with the same claim.
P.S. I find your avatar disturbing because all the schnauzers I have seen and owned are the sweetest pups imaginable. I fear your image gives the breed a bad reputationBigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:P.S. I find your avatar disturbing because all the schnauzers I have seen and owned are the sweetest pups imaginable. I fear your image gives the breed a bad reputation Bigwink

I have a Rottweiler/something mix. He smiles. Grins real big. looks like he wants to eat you.

So DC's dog isn't snarling, he's "cheesing" for the camera.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, there's a lot of bad information out there. I tried some of the sleep apnea pills- I knew they didn't work, but just had to try them. The pills didn't change my AHI at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
In general, I would agree with you, DreamCatcher. Most people will never entirely rid themselves of their sleep apnea, especially if they have moderate or severe OSA.

However, if you are obese and have MILD sleep apnea, it is definitely possible to lose weight and rid yourself, at least temporarily, of the OSA. The trouble is most people have a difficult time losing weight when they have sleep apnea. When they lack restful sleep, they eat more and are more inactive.
Yet, if the OSA is treated with xPAP, there is a better chance of getting the weight off and getting the xPAP off. To the extent they keep that weight off, they can rid themselves of OSA. However, we all know that keeping weight off for the long run is more diffiicult for some than losing the weight to begin with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2012, 12:32 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: In general, I would agree with you, DreamCatcher. Most people will never entirely rid themselves of their sleep apnea, especially if they have moderate or severe OSA.

However, if you are obese and have MILD sleep apnea, it is definitely possible to lose weight and rid yourself, at least temporarily, of the OSA. The trouble is most people have a difficult time losing weight when they have sleep apnea. When they lack restful sleep, they eat more and are more inactive.
Yet, if the OSA is treated with xPAP, there is a better chance of getting the weight off and getting the xPAP off. To the extent they keep that weight off, they can rid themselves of OSA. However, we all know that keeping weight off for the long run is more diffiicult for some than losing the weight to begin with.

You could be right there but in the years Ive been on the forums Im yet to hear of anyone who has been cured oneway or another, but I live in hope Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP is a treatment not a cure so you should wear the mask whenever you go to sleep.
Its all about calories to lose weight have to eat less and all the exercise in the world is not going to help if you indulge in cream cakes and soft drink or even a giant size Staubuck coffee with load of sugar after workout in the gym.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 02:35 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 12:32 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: In general, I would agree with you, DreamCatcher. Most people will never entirely rid themselves of their sleep apnea, especially if they have moderate or severe OSA.

You could be right there but in the years Ive been on the forums Im yet to hear of anyone who has been cured oneway or another, but I live in hope Big Grin

I live in hope, too. I have mild sleep apnea. AHI=9 in sleep lab, but previously very symptomatic. I am obese, although not morbidly obese. Since being on Apap for less than a month, I have already managed to lose about 10 lbs. I am eating a lot less and don't have the sweet cravings, I did before. I am beginning to take long walks, and eventually hope to do more. I have a long way to go before taking off another 50 lbs that I need to lose, but I really think I can do it. Losing the 10 lbs has been effortless.

My goal for losing weight isn't to stop using APAP, although that would be nice. Even if I don't, I haven't felt better in years since starting the APAP and beginning to lose weight. I am not dosing off like I did before. I can actually stay awake during some evening classes I am taking.

BTW, I can't imagine people frequenting an apnea support group who no longer have sleep apnea, but I promise I will report here, if and when I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 03:37 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: BTW, I can't imagine people frequenting an apnea support group who no longer have sleep apnea, but I promise I will report here, if and when I can.

I've seen it happen!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 198 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Mod Note] Prevention rather than Cure ? - Thread Closed Micheal.M 37 2,715 06-28-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] finally got someone to listen at lincare ajwees41 2 780 10-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ajwees41
Smile 2018 Resolution. 'Cure' myself of Sleep Apnea. Mogy 45 9,433 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Timur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.