Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Propofol cause central apneas?
Does Propofol cause central apneas?
I recently had a medical procedure that required me to be  anesthetized with Propofol.  That night my machine recorded my AHI a little higher than usual.  The next night it was still a little higher, but not as high.  After that it pretty much returned to normal.

When I looked at the data in Oscar it appeared the only thing out of the ordinary was I'd had an unusually high number of central apneas on both nights.  The number of central apnea has returned to more normal values since then (one or two a night).

Is propofol known to cause central apneas?  Has anyone else experienced this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Propofol cause central apneas?
I've been sedated with Propofol. For me, it works like a charm. No hang-over to speak of, after being used. 

Can't speak to whether or not it affected my sleep apnea therapy. I slept fine as far as I know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Propofol cause central apneas?
Propofol is a known respiratory suppressant. Ask Michael Jackson. Most do not experience suppression the day after a procedure, but the anesthesia is normally used with a standby ventilator, and patients should never be left unattended while the drug is in use. Its initial half-life is around 40 minutes, and its terminal half-life usually being 4 to 7 hours. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430884/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 591 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,520 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.