Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time?
Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time?
Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m tubing affect AirCurve 10 response time when set to the proper tube settings?

I remember reading various post on tubing size and noise.  In one of the post I read something about the diameter size (may?) make a difference on Auto set machines.  I don’t remember exactly what read about auto set machines. I have not found the thread.

Is there it difference in response time?

The ClimateLineAir (37296) is quiet.

I do not think I notice much of a difference in pressure with my Universal Hybrid mask when using the ClimateLineAir and a standard Respironics tube that has ribbing inside.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time?
You need to consider the volumetric capacity of each hose size.  A slimline hose is 15mm as opposed to 19mm diameters of the ClimateLine and the 3m hose.  They all have 22mm hose ends.  The 19mm is basically 1/3 larger in area compared to the 15mm.  This results in an increased velocity in the 15mm to achieve the same amount of air delivered to the patient.  The higher velocity also increases turbulence withing the hose, causing more noise.  Additionally, The increased velocity causes a more drying effect on wet surfaces (i.e.: mouth, nose, & throat) too.  

The hose lengths are an additional consideration in their total volume and compressibility factor. I have listed the hose sizes, their length and their volumetric capacity below.  All values displayed are in millimeters.

Hose Dia. - Length  - Area Volume
15mm - 2m - 353.43 cubic cm
19mm - 2m - 567.06 cubic cm
19mm - 3m - 850.59 cubic cm.

It will take more air to change the pressure within the 3-meter hose as opposed to the 2-meter hose of the same diameter.  As an extreme analogy, envision blowing into a small balloon with one breath.  Now, using the same breath, blow into an inner tube.  Your breath has a much less effect on the inner tube as opposed to the balloon.

I hope I made this clearer than a bucket of grits. . . Coffee
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time?
Crimson Nape,

At least I know what grits is.

I was think the way events in the mouth are registered in the machine.

I did not think of the drying aspect of it. I would assume the smaller diameter SlimLine would evaporate water faster.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 6 83 1 hour ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 857 9 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 2 197 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 101 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 984 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 149 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 687 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.