Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 5 ramp up to 7. 10 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Does a high leak rate effect AHI?
If I have a high leak rate, above 25, and a low AHI can I trust the AHI number? Are they interconnected?

My AHI is usually between .66 and 2.00 and sometimes within those I have leaks that range between 20 and 110 over 95% of the time. But most are in the low 30's. The higher ones are waking me up.
10-14-2013 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Does a high leak rate effect AHI?
(10-14-2013 09:48 PM)remltr Wrote:  If I have a high leak rate, above 25, and a low AHI can I trust the AHI number? Are they interconnected?

My AHI is usually between .66 and 2.00 and sometimes within those I have leaks that range between 20 and 110 over 95% of the time. But most are in the low 30's. The higher ones are waking me up.

My AHI's are low and my median and 95% leak is usually 0 on both. Sometimes, it is higher on the 95% but I didn't notice any over 7. Now, my maximum is another story and that, at times, has been quite high. I am going to start turning the machine off prior to removing my mask and see if that makes a difference. I am also considering increasing my minimum pressure to 16 rather than 12 AFTER I take my SD card to the DME tomorrow. They are trying to tell me that I have to start my 30 days over on my compliance b/c I did not use my cpap machine Friday night because I had a sleep study done. I almost believe this is a way for the DME to prolong the rent to own time as they claim my insurance will rent it for 10 months and then it is mine, however, they said that IF I missed a full 30 days of compliance at 4 hours that I have to start over even if the noncompliance had to do with the sleep study. The sleep center said that it is an average of 4 hours per night. SO, who is telling the truth? Of course, the last thing I need on my plate right now is to have to call my insurance company for this information and since it is open enrollment, they hire more people to handle the extra calls and a lot of those people are not trained well. Many times, I have been given incorrect information.
10-14-2013 10:14 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

(10-14-2013 09:48 PM)remltr Wrote:  If I have a high leak rate, above 25, and a low AHI can I trust the AHI number? Are they interconnected?

Yes. Any events recorded during a high leak time are not to be trusted. And you don't know if any events did happen that were not recorded. You need to figure out why you have the leaks and fix it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-15-2013 12:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Moriarty Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics REMStar 50 Series Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Pakel Pilairo Q
Humidifier: Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: 8.5-20 (average 9.4)

Other Comments: Image above is my CPAP machine...

A couple of days ago Zonk wrote this:
"Unlike other machines report total leak ... ResMed machines does the calculation by subtract intentional leak and reporting unintentional leak
(mask plus mouth leaks), for this reason you've to select the type of mask you,e using as different masks have different vents leak rate (intentional leak). ResMed consider leak at or below 24 L/min acceptable leak, higher leak rate may affect the accuracy of the reported data so good idea to maintain leak below the red line in ResScan leak graph."

25, while not good, is not an outrageous unintentional leak. If you are getting good sleep and the noise of the leak is not bothering you or others I would not worry about it.
10-15-2013 06:17 AM
skyler Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics ASV
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: System One Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 8-12-20
CPAP Software: Not using software SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed February 2008

I would not discount those great AHI stats, but would work on the leaks. Don't feel bad, after five years I still struggle with leaks.
10-16-2013 10:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

I got my leaks waaay down but wrecked my poor nose. I'm thinkin' anything below 24 is fine with me since ResMed says so. I'm also cutting up an old tee-shirt and making a po-boy liner to see if I can save some portion of what's left of my nose bridge. I think liners may not reduce the leaks so much as they reduce the sound - whatever, I'm more concerned with reducing the bleeding. Too-funny
08-09-2014 07:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 17 501 Yesterday 11:58 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 236 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 765 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 371 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
  [Equipment] low heart rate BrownFox292 4 243 11-24-2016 03:34 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Leak rate abrun7 8 479 11-22-2016 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,210 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher