Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does a remstar pro m series have an internal battery
Does a remstar pro m series have an internal battery
From several posts on this board, I have learned that my remstar pro m series is always on Greenwich Mean Time, which means it has an internal clock. Since the clock must keep running when it's not plugged in, I am guessing it must have an internal battery, like the battery on a computer mother board.

Does it, indeed, have an internal battery?
And, if so, how long should I expect it to last?

I have two of the machines. One is a backup and lives, not plugged in, in the closet in case the first ever breaks down. What I fear is that the batteries on both will die someday and I'll be without a machine. Perhaps even the battery in the closet will run down first and when my daily use machine dies, I'll pull the one out of the closet only to find that I'm getting an error message and there's nothing I can do about it.

thanks.
Even smart people make mistakes
Only wise people learn from them
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does a remstar pro m series have an internal battery
It has a battery just like powers the CMOS on a computer, but it is soldered into the bracket. That is second-hand information from someone that has taken the REMstar apart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, I guessed that was the case. Computer motherboard batteries typically last 3 years or so. My CPAPs are older than that by a few years.

If it's like a computer motherboard battery, I think they aren't used unless the machine is not plugged in. Which means that my CPAP in the closet is wearing out faster than the one I'm using!

so, next question: Does the battery run down faster if the machine isn't plugged in?

And a follow up question. When the battery finally dies I will be tempted to take the machine apart and try to replace the battery. I'm not worried about the assembly and soldering, but the machine could be designed so that it won't work unless some factory interface is connected and an initialization is performed. I realize this is beyond the level of knowledge of any reasonable CPAP user, but does anyone know what would happen if I replaced a battery (assuming I didn't break anything in the process)?

thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
one other possibility is that it could be a rechargeable battery. Does anyone know if it is?
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my M-Series auto in 2008 and changed it out in December for a new machine. Actually I got two PRS1 60 series machines, one APAP and one BiPAP, and got them both with under 200 hours off Craigslist. If you have good insurance, talk to your doctor. If not, start looking for a replacement. You don't want to rely on a machine that old as your only CPAP. If you've ever had to sleep without it, you know what I mean.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dottore,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't think those memmory batteries are rechargable.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 06:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I got my M-Series auto in 2008 and changed it out in December for a new machine. Actually I got two PRS1 60 series machines, one APAP and one BiPAP, and got them both with under 200 hours off Craigslist. If you have good insurance, talk to your doctor. If not, start looking for a replacement. You don't want to rely on a machine that old as your only CPAP. If you've ever had to sleep without it, you know what I mean.

I have been leery of buying on craigslist. Since the demise of cpap-auction.com, I haven't bought a new machine. But it would be nice to upgrade to an APAP. I will look and see if I can find something.

that said, my M series is an old friend, I'd hate to lose it because the battery died.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 06:08 PM)dottore Wrote: one other possibility is that it could be a rechargeable battery. Does anyone know if it is?

The "Legacy" (older than M series) and current model PRS1 machines have non-replaceable non-rechargeable lithium coin cells. Basically watch batteries, but they're soldered onto the circuit board. I suspect the M series has the same kind of battery, but don't know for sure.

For low current things like real time clocks, primary lithium cells may actually last longer than rechargeable batteries. Most rechargeable batteries have a limited shelf life.

You would expect the battery to give out eventually, but we've had quite a few people with really old Respironics CPAP machines and I don't recall hearing anyone who had one of these machines quit due to a dead battery. I guess it's possible that some of them DO die from dead batteries, but the machine just quits working and the owner just thinks it died from old age.

Respironics doesn't provide any way for the owner to reset the clock on their machines. It requires a special cable and software that isn't available to the general public.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the info. If it's like a computer motherboard, then the watch battery only powers the clock.

so if the battery runs down and you unplug the machine, it SHOULD start back up at time zero. It would think that is 0:00 GMT.

The question would be, what does the firmware do when that happens. Does it just start running, normally? if so, that would be just fine with me. But Philips may have gotten fancy and when the battery runs down, it decides that is an error condition and refuses to run.

My battery is working at this point (the machine still knows that 5AM PST is 0:00 GMT, so the clock is still keeping time), it will be interesting to see what happens when the battery finally runs down.

thanks to all, I think I have a handle on it from here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 07:23 PM)dottore Wrote:
(02-15-2015, 06:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I got my M-Series auto in 2008 and changed it out in December for a new machine. Actually I got two PRS1 60 series machines, one APAP and one BiPAP, and got them both with under 200 hours off Craigslist. If you have good insurance, talk to your doctor. If not, start looking for a replacement. You don't want to rely on a machine that old as your only CPAP. If you've ever had to sleep without it, you know what I mean.

I have been leery of buying on craigslist. Since the demise of cpap-auction.com, I haven't bought a new machine. But it would be nice to upgrade to an APAP. I will look and see if I can find something.

that said, my M series is an old friend, I'd hate to lose it because the battery died.

There is a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her available for $500 in Shohomish County, a S9 Autoset in Bellvue at $475, a PRS1 unspecified model in Bellvue for $250. Others will come up. The prices are usually negotiable, and that Autoset for Her is the latest greatest machine. I've had pretty good luck, especially if I can meet with the seller and inspect the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,500 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.