Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anybody prefer a FFM if not a mouth breather? Might opt for P10 or N10...
Does anybody prefer a FFM if not a mouth breather? Might opt for P10 or N10...
So next week I pick up my new APAP and mask, first time using either of them outside of my sleep study. Here's the thing, on my script they specifically wrote "F10 Full Face Mask", yet the justification the sleep tech said at the time was that since I was yawning & taking big breaths via my mouth while trying to relax and fall asleep, he wanted me to wear the FFM just to make sure I could sleep through the night without needing a switch-out. Still, once I'm asleep I'm pretty sure I'm a consistent nose breather. The reason I'm considering trying a nasal mask at first was because even though the FFM was very comfortable, I ran into a lot of leak problems while side sleeping. My head would sink into the pillow and push up on the mask, causing it to leak air at the top, around the bridge of my nose. I could just take the F10 and buy a P10 or N10 out of pocket (does anybody like the N10 over the P10?), either at Apria or online. I really want the first few nights to go smoothly so any advice you have in this area would be much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anybody prefer a FFM if not a mouth breather? Might opt for P10 or N10...
If you are pretty sure you are a nose breather (or even if you aren't but can become one or tolerate a chinstrap) then nasal pillows are the least likely to leak. The more surface there is to seal, the less likely it will seal well and consistently Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anybody prefer a FFM if not a mouth breather? Might opt for P10 or N10...
You don't have to accept the mask they give you either. You can tell them you want to try this one or that one. I was originally prescribed the P10 with a chin strap and decided to go with the Liberty. I had good luck with the Liberty until I cranked my pressure up.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StoopidMonkey81,
I tried the AirFit N10 and found it noisy when the machine got up to the higher pressures but YMMV. Good luck to you with finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
StoopidMonkey81,

Depending on your insurance and your DME's policies, you might be able to get the nasal pillows before a FFM and if they don't work out for you turn them in for a FFM.

If your DME is like mine, they will not provide unconditional return/swap. Mine said they would make sure we were satisfied, but their willingness to swap was limited to different size of the same FFM. I bought my P10's from Supplier #1 out of pocket as you are contemplating, with a free return guarantee, which meant if they didn't work for me there is a full refund no questions asked.

Anyways, point is explore what flexibility you have before you buy anything next week. And if it's more of a hassle than a hundred dollars, then just go buy the nasal pillows from whoever you want out of pocket -- with a return guarantee which should be free so you aren't out money if they don't work out.

good luck,

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.