Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
Air is constantly pushing against you so I assumed this was normal. 

Now I wonder if this due to too much pressure...or if I'm just someone who has a body that can't handle the air pushing against me for long periods.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
we strive for comfort and we get used to a lot, but let's face it (sorry), apart from relief from the struggle to breathe, 'pappin' is less comfortable than not 'pappin'. it's always a relief to take off the mask because, well, the mask. don't get me started on the soft cervical collar.

plus of course the higher the pressure the greater likelihood of problems with leaks and aerophagia. sometimes high pressure feels suffocating and the only solution is to rouse and restart the machine (or 'blow back' with asv). it also depends on the machine. with asv I've tolerated pressures bumping up against 25cmw because, I believe, pressure support races upwards to nip an obstructive but doesn't stay there very long. in contrast, I had a hard time with anything over 13cmw with apap - breathing against or even with the pressure, plus leaks and aerophagia.

I come fully awake dozens of times a night. at least a half dozen of those my mask comes off and I turn the machine off. I suspect that's at least partly due to discomfort of some kind. maybe apnea, maybe leg movements, maybe leaks, maybe high pressure...

higher pressures are harder to get used to but I've always assumed those that need it are less likely to find it uncomfortable insofar as that's offset by a corresponding relief from apnea which should make one feel much better. no?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
(05-01-2019, 01:28 PM)Broomstick Wrote: Air is constantly pushing against you so I assumed this was normal. 

Well, after adapting I no longer feel air pushing against me. When I first put the mask on I have to check for air jetting out of the exhaust port to verify that it's come on, and of course I can fell the mask inflate, but I remind myself that that's a good feeling. It means I have a way of treating an affliction that our parents, and all of the parents that came before them, didn't. Thank goodness!

In the morning when I turn the machine off and take the mask off, it's just part of my routine. I'm thinking more about that cup of coffee I'll soon be having than I am how the mask felt.

The human body has an amazing ability to adapt. These same things will happen to you as long as wear your mask every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping.

Quote:Now I wonder if this due to too much pressure...or if I'm just someone who has a body that can't handle the air pushing against me for long periods.

Well, there is one member who can't tolerate pressures above 6 cm without problems. I'm the same for pressures above 11 cm. It's different for different people. Inability to tolerate might be a feeling, it might be aerophagia, or it might be an elevated CA index.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still rather new to all this SA stuff. I've been treating it now for about 8 months or so. From the very first night of treatment, it's been pretty darn easy for me. Wasn't sure what to expect when it came time to sleep with a mask on. But, I did so and it wasn't difficult. 

I'm not sure that treating the SA is going to make any difference in my quality of life. I do hope that it will, but I have this gut feeling that says differently. My gut rarely leads me astray. 

Feeling as I do, I wish that I could say that it's made a big difference, but I can't. I go to bed all geared up and fall asleep easily enough, with the aid of some sleep tabs. I usually wake up about 7 am or so, and make a trip to the bathroom. I then remove my mask and go back to bed for a couple more hours. I see that as a treat. During the afternoon, if I feel like a catnap, I take one w/o gearing up. 

Once in a while, I just don't feel like wearing my mask when I go to bed. When that happens, I don't. Rather than force myself to gear up and resent it, I take that night off, so to speak, and make sure the next night I do gear up. I've only missed three nights since last Sept. 10th. 

All in all, I'm trying as best I can to see this whole SA thing thru. It's going well and my sleep doctor agrees. When asked how long it might take for me to begin to feel an improvement, he begins his song & dance routine about everyone being different. 

I turn 65 this October. Fact of the matter is, I don't want to live to be a ripe old age. I figure another 20 yrs. at most, if even that. The way this world / society of ours is heading, I don't see anything at all to look forward to. 

My doctors are good and I have no complaints. I haven't yet told them what I have told all of you. I don't expect anything at all close to being 100% free of aches & pains. If I happen to mention one or the other, my docs act as if it can be resolved, and they want me to take more tests or begin treatment. Some things just come with getting older and I'm okay with that. I've never been a denier. It'd be refreshing once in a while if one of them told me that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
You get used to it after a while, but if the pressure feels excessive it my well be, but you have not said what it is set at.  However, I am on a phone at the moment and it may be at the side of your post. 
The answer to your question is No, I don't look forward to taking the mask off, in fact I often lie with the mask on when awake (my worst ever AHI was one night I couldn't sleep for nerve pain) when I can't sleep.
With the APAP I am quite happy to have the ask on all day if needed.  Not so much with the CPAP, it was at a much higher pressure and after 8 hours I would remove it.
When I first started CPAP many moons ago I didn't have a humidifier and I couldn't wait to remove the mask after 2 hrs or so as I couldn't breathe for dryness.  However, after I got a humidifier I could keep it on all night without a problem, oh I still had leaks and the odd ad night, but I persisted and now I can't sleep without my best friend.
If it were a choice between the wife and the machine I am afraid I might miss the wife!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Just looked at your pressure and at 12 it is not that high.  I am not sure why you are so desperate to take your mask off?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I don’t experience this. I’d make adjustments if I did.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2019, 02:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Well, there is one member who can't tolerate pressures above 6 cm without problems. I'm the same for pressures above 11 cm. It's different for different people. Inability to tolerate might be a feeling, it might be aerophagia, or it might be an elevated CA index.

Can you expand on that last part? 

I learned recently that CA (central apnea) causes shortness of breath upon awakening, which is EXACTLY what I often feel. I don't understand what mechanism behind CA can possibly cause someone to CONTINUE to struggle to breathe after waking up. I'm able to find ZERO information online.

Its like my breathing becomes different when waking up. I go to bed like a normal person and wake up not being able to breathe properly with the mask anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a reason that you are using a full face mask?  That could be part of your issue as it might a combination of the pressure plus a little claustrophobia combining to make you want to break free...  I'm only into month 2 of CPAP, and honestly I don't feel much with pressure anymore, but I do still use the flex setting (aka EPR in Resmed) at 2 to make exhaling a bit easier.  I found the dreamwear mask was ok, but it was a game changer when I tried the Bleep mask as there is no headgear, and no leaking.  I did get a Full Face Mask too (F30) but that's sitting in a drawer for anytime that i'm sick and congested because I just could not get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
YES! Again I dont think any of this is normal for us but it is something we all here now need to get used too and learn to live with. I look forward to the morning to get it off me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 166 5 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 826 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.