Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
RE: Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
(05-01-2019, 09:22 PM)I Broomstick Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 02:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Well, there is one member who can't tolerate pressures above 6 cm without problems. I'm the same for pressures above 11 cm. It's different for different people. Inability to tolerate might be a feeling, it might be aerophagia, or it might be an elevated CA index.

Can you expand on that last part? 

I learned recently that CA (central apnea) causes shortness of breath upon awakening, which is EXACTLY what I often feel. I don't understand what mechanism behind CA can possibly cause someone to CONTINUE to struggle to breathe after waking up. I'm able to find ZERO information online.

Its like my breathing becomes different when waking up. I go to bed like a normal person and wake up not being able to breathe properly with the mask anymore.
I have central sleep apnea.  The quick and dirty explanation is that your brain decides it isn’t going to breathe.

I don’t remember it specifically waking up, but there were times when going asleep, I’d end up having to take off my mask and was gasping for air.  It did not happen often, but it was pretty nerve wracking when it did.  I’d look at my AHI and it would be in double digits, all centrals.

I ended up with an ASV machine and so far no issues, but it has been less than a month.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while?
(05-01-2019, 09:22 PM)Broomstick Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 02:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Well, there is one member who can't tolerate pressures above 6 cm without problems. I'm the same for pressures above 11 cm. It's different for different people. Inability to tolerate might be a feeling, it might be aerophagia, or it might be an elevated CA index.

Can you expand on that last part? 

I learned recently that CA (central apnea) causes shortness of breath upon awakening, which is EXACTLY what I often feel. I don't understand what mechanism behind CA can possibly cause someone to CONTINUE to struggle to breathe after waking up. I'm able to find ZERO information online.

Its like my breathing becomes different when waking up. I go to bed like a normal person and wake up not being able to breathe properly with the mask anymore.

I would say CA didn't cause shortness of breath, but some other cause would be the culprit. As we know, CA, as in Central Apnea, is caused by an imbalance in pulmonary receptors transmitting improperly that we don't need to breathe yet to dump off carbon dioxide.

Possibly the reason you cannot find on the web a direct link between CA and struggling to breathe after waking is because it's that there's another, likely medical, reason. I deal with shortness of breath, and I also deal with CA. My shortness of breath cause is COPD. And no I'm not saying you have COPD, that's just an example. But there is something else going on that one of your doctors will need to find and diagnose.

And we do breathe very differently while awake vs sleeping. Sleep breathing is far more "automated" and typically has a fairly constant rhythm, whereas awake breathing has lots more randomness thrown in. That's unless there's some thing modifying that normal, in this case, again it's probably medically based.

PS one of my indicators of the presence of CA would be the oxygen deprived headache AKA morning headache.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 7 207 8 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 127 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 477 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 193 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 185 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 988 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 410 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.