Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone else feel horrible after standing up after laying down?
RE: Does anyone else feel horrible after standing up after laying down?
(05-08-2019, 12:01 PM)crowtor Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 09:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 04:43 PM)Broomstick Wrote: I will lay down for a while (no sleep at all, just reading, etc.) then when I stand up I feel really horrible and exhausted.

Anyone else? Or just me.

With filled lungs, lift your diaphragm and attempt to expel the air in your lungs against your closed mouth and throat.  Let go, repeat, and then slowly stand.  You will probably feel better.

mesenteria you wished well, but i urge you to re-check next time. The first part about tightening the leg muscles is correct. The bolded part however is called 'valsava manouver' and is something you do when you have high heart rate and higher blood pressure. With orthostatic hypotension however, doing this manouver while standing will cause a fainting episode. That's mainly because the valsava manouver causes a reduction in cardiac output which leads to further reduction of blood pressure.

So Broomstick do not perform the manouver! Instead the link I send you in my previous post has a medical journal that describes the correct approach when dealing with Orthostatic Hypotension.
I was careful to state the following: "...Let go, repeat, and then slowly stand."  I did not indicate that this was to be done while standing, but while still prone or seated in order to preclude the potential to faint. It's what military jet pilots do in order to keep from passing out, which is precisely the aim here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 180 11 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.