Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone else find that urination causes their SPO2 to drop?
Does anyone else find that urination causes their SPO2 to drop?
This is more of a curiosity than anything else; I only noticed because I'm wearing my sleep monitor when I get up to pee at night, and it vibrates when I start to pee. ?

I wasn't really concerned about this, I assumed it was just a normal physiological response. However, when I Googled it I found an article about the relationship between LUTS (Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms) and Hypoxia and Sleep Apnea. I have all three, but I still think it's a coincidence.

Anyone else experience this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone else find that urination causes their SPO2 to drop?
May be related to this....
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...q-20058084

Not sure a drop in blood pressure might cause a drop in O2, but may be plausible. I've noticed on my O2Ring the amplitude of the pulse bars drops when I pee at night. I believe the pulse bars drop is an indication of the blood perfusion, so perhaps the blood pressure and perfusion are related to cause an O2 drop if the blood doesn't move as it is supposed to(?)
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/bo...n-pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
It"s just false reading from getting up to go pee. There is no reason why SPO2should drop while up and brearhing normally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting up too quickly can cause a drop in blood pressure (Orthostatic hypotension). The drop in blood pressure can cause you to feel lightheaded/faint. You feel lightheaded because of the lack of oxygen in the blood stream. You can be breathing normally when this occurs.

"Low blood pressure can be a sign of good health. However, if it gets too low (hypotension) that could mean that not enough blood is reaching your vital organs, leaving them starved of oxygen."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/ar...gency-care
Post Reply Post Reply
The simplest answer might be that movement often affects the O2 sensor and you may be seeing the results of dropouts and bad data caused by movement. I sometimes see the same thing when I get up to take my meds and then go back to sleep.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Try getting out of bed but, instead of heading to the bathroom, just sit in a chair for a minute or two and checking if your SP02 drops. It might be more related to sitting down after rising from bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
When bearing down the vagal nerve is stimulated, and your heart rate slows, and blood pressure drops.  Possibly that is causing the O2 sat to go down.  Google "micturition vasovagal syncope."
Post Reply Post Reply
Also when you get out of bed you hold your breath to stabilize your trunk and rise to your feet.  Then when you pee, you hold your breath feet.  My SpO2 drops slightly just getting out of bed and walking to my recliner in the next room.  I would say it is fairly common for people prone to desaturation to drop a couple of percentage points.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 397 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 830 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 681 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 230 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,223 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.