Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone have that Inspire device implant?
Does anyone have that Inspire device implant?
My ENT said I was a good candidate for it, after doing a DISE procedure. I frowned at having some invasive surgery done on me for an implant. But now, after having heart arrhtyhmia again last night, I'm rethinking it.  I know it's supposed to sort of replace CPAP, but wondering if you can use it with a machine?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone have that Inspire device implant?
Hiya MyronH

Sorry to read about your suffering. I do not know how to quote from other posts but I did a 'search' for implants and there were many other threads on it. Jist is it helps with 68% AHI reduction and only recommended for those with moderate AHI as if you have very severe AHI you may still be left with residual apneas.

Have a search.......
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
MyronH,
Here are a couple of the latest threads on Inspire.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=Inspire

Do your research. Your Cardiologist should be able to advise if you would be a good candidate.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's what my doctor had to say about it:

It's essentially a "pacemaker implanted in you (under general anesthesia, with a wire under the skin of your neck and into the tongue)."

He said that it can be used alone or in conjunction with other therapies. He mentioned that there is now 5 year post-implantation data published.

His particular caution was that the information at Inspire's web site "is all 'happy' and the reality is far more complex and nuanced..."

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think twice—no, make that three times—before implanting the Inspire device. I wish I had. Immediately after one was implanted in me last summer, most of my body shut down. I was in critical condition with acute pulmonary edema and many other serious problems. I was on a respirator for about a week and in the ICU for three weeks. After-effects continued for at least five months. I missed work for the entire second half of 2019. Implanting the Inspire device is not the minor out-patient procedure that the company suggests. Beware.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello! Where can I find that 5-year information on Inspire. I am 2-years in and am having some issues. Wondering if others are having similar issues that I am. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KAS2020! - Welcome

I found many articles, too many to list here, using the following search phrase, Five Year Outcomes of Cranial Nerve Stimulation.

The initial searches, using the term Inspire, returned several 3 year studies as well.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I kept searching after my last post and came across this article.  Since it is somewhat long and not all of it pertains to your question, I have only quoted the section on side effects.  For the complete article, see: https://www.verywellhealth.com/inspire-f...ea-3015288
Quote:Inspire Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulator Surgery for Sleep Apnea Treatment
By Brandon Peters, M.D.  -  Medically reviewed by Kashif J. Piracha, MD on  May 08, 2020

Side Effects and Risks
The treatment is generally well-tolerated once healing from surgery has occurred. Some people find the sensation within the tongue is uncomfortable when the device is activated during sleep. This rarely requires intervention. Additional side effects include:
  • Excessive bleeding
  • Damage to the nerve
  • Infection
  • Allergic reaction or rejection of the implanted materials
  • Persistent pain at implant site
  • Discomfort from stimulation
  • Tongue soreness or weakness
  • Tongue movement restrictions
  • Difficulty swallowing or speaking
  • Scarring or fibrosis around the implant
  • Dry mouth
  • Insomnia
  • Other acute symptoms (i.e., headaches, coughing, choking)
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to read a success story, member Malloc has kept a posted journal of his use of Inspire here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...My-Journey
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,035 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 363 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Inspire and CPAP Alternatives and Updates Comfortcomposites 7 927 12-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 404 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 352 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.