Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone know if the Nighshift device is good for positional therapy?
Does anyone know if the Nighshift device is good for positional therapy?
My apneas are quite a bit worse on my back so trying positional therapy.
Does anyone know if this device is good or not?
Night Shift Sleep Positioner (advancedbrainmonitoring.com)

It's the one I'm looking at buying but it's a bit pricey. Worth the money?
Thanks.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone know if the Nighshift device is good for positional therapy?
Never seen or heard of it before so I had a good look through the website at the device and personally, it seems a very gimmicky device that does not appeal to me. It is also very expensive. I believe that CPAP is the beast treatment available but I do understand people look for alternatives.

If you proceed with you purchase I hope that it goes well for you.
I live in the Land Downunder
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2022, 10:48 PM)Snooks Wrote: Never seen or heard of it before so I had a good look through the website at the device and personally, it seems a very gimmicky device that does not appeal to me. It is also very expensive. I believe that CPAP is the beast treatment available but I do understand people look for alternatives.

If you proceed with you purchase I hope that it goes well for you.

I got refused referall to the sleep clinic for a CPAP so it's this or some other device
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2022, 10:56 PM)Darkpunchedstars Wrote:  I got refused referall to the sleep clinic for a CPAP so it's this or some other device

I don't understand how you would be refused referral to a sleep clinic, assuming you had symptoms that indicate you may have Sleep Apnea but it may be different in the UK compared to Australia. Can you do a sleep study through a private company? We can out here. It does cost around $120 but given your health is of great importance it would be well worth doing and it is also only a 3rd the price of the device that you are considering. Just a thought.
I live in the Land Downunder
Post Reply Post Reply
The company that makes it is completely legit - they make equipment used by sleep centers to do sleep studies, neurologists, etc. As for the device, a t-shirt with a tennis ball taped to it is a much cheaper way to try out positional therapy. Smile

(Actually found this post when googling their home eeg devices, they sell those, too, but waaaaaaay too expensive to just get to play with.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, you can buy an app for $3 that lets you strap your phone to your chest and track this, and OSCAR is already set up to support it - http://www.proximalbox.com/somnopose/index.html
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips has something similar, the Nightbalance device. I don't recommend that one because it just... didn't want to charge out of the box on the stupid pogo-pin dock. Made it 2 days before it died, never got to experience the therapy.

The SmartSleep Snoring Relief Band is a stripped-down version of the Nightbalance that's cheaper and doesn't require a script. Maybe worth a try if you come across one?
meow, I'm a bobcat.

@home: DS1 Auto, F&P HC150, Dreamwear FullFace
@travel: Transcend Micro, USB-C PD cable, Anker GaNPrime 65W brick, Sleepweaver Anew -- all in a dopp bag
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m with you Darkpunchedstars - there are few positional therapy products out there. 

I might be able to help out. A few years back, I realized I really needed to find a good device to keep me off my back, track my positions over time, and train me to side sleep.  My sleep apnea (55AHI) was mostly relieved with a BiPAP, until I lost the long battle with aerophagia. I moved on to several surgeries (got most of them  - short of a tracheostomy). While my OSA reduced a little with each surgery, it persisted. To get through it all, positional therapy became a key component to getting enough functional sleep. I used the tennis ball down the shirt method, but I misaligned some of my ribs (twice), making side sleeping quite painful for several weeks. With no great options left, I hired an electrical engineer to help me build a personal positional therapy device for my condition.  After a few months, we finished an accelerometer based haptic notification device attached to a sleep mask via a 3D printed case. This worked well in keeping me on my side through the night. In 2021, I built version 2 with another EE, that was smaller than a stick of gum, tracked sleep positioning for analysis and trending, and had configurable notification angles and gradual notification patterns. 

At the beginning of this year, I quit my job and partnered with a great electrical engineer to build a better version for me and the public - a tiny earpiece that uses sound cues instead of haptic vibration notifications. Sound cues make it easier to stay asleep or fall back to sleep after repositioning from a positional notification. 

If you still have not found a positional therapy device that works for you, check out http://sleepdev.com to see if the positional ear-piece might be of interest. Prototype 3 should complete testing next month with a release shortly after. If you want to stay in the loop of the upcoming release, you can add your email to our notification list on our website.

NOTE: Until we get our approval from the FDA for sleep apnea (and maybe eventually the MHRA), the device and app are tailored towards general positional sleep therapy and snoring. 

I hope my adding this link does not violate any apneaboard rules and the admins are ok with it. But you seem in need…and I have been in a similar situation as you are.

Also, some people have also had success with sleep collars…below is a link to the board posting. 
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-split-Rice95-Therapy-positional-apnea-help-with-collars

Best, Michael 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 149 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,258 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.