Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone know when ResMed is likely to replace the S10 with a new model?
Does anyone know when ResMed is likely to replace the S10 with a new model?
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone know when ResMed is likely to replace the S10 with a new model?
Sorry, ResMed is notoriously tight-lipped about new products in their pipeline. The first announcements can be found in the press release section or financial presentations available in the investor relations section of their website. Most new product announcements are clustered together as they continue to compete with the other companies for DME and institutional business. They have little consideration for end-users as their customers are the DMEs and institutions. Sometimes reps will let something slip as they are trained on the new product.

However, if anyone wants to leak ... this is the forum to do so for maximum impact.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I was about the post this same question.

I have used a ResMed Air Sense 10 AutoSet for 5 years and have an appointment today to get a new one.  I don't want to get it today and find out in 6 months their new model comes out (leaving me with 4.5 years till I can get it with insurance).  I see why they won't release this information because if I *knew* the new one was coming out in 6 months I would wait, and they don't want sales to dry up for 6 months.  I don't fault them for trying but hope I don't get faulted for trying either...

I had the same issue for years with an insulin pump.  I was caught in a cycle.  I would get a new pump and 6 months later the new one would come out.

The thing is there were rumors and in hindsight, the rumors were, more often than not, correct.  It was like the nurses I worked with did not want to influence my decision without hard facts, but they would let me know the rumors.  It was like using the word 'rumor' let them off the hook because in a worst-case scenario I would keep using a perfectly good pump for a few months longer.  If it broke, I would then without question get a new one.  On the last cycle, I listened to the rumors and waited a few months.  I am glad I did.

Sort of like Apple products.  Apple won't officially say when new iPhones will come out, but I'll bet there will be a new one in the October time-frame.

So, any rumors?   Rolleyes

And, if not, with the above in mind, does anyone know what is ResMed's release history?
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed is likely due for a new series at some point soon, if history is any guide.

S7 came out around 2002
S8 came out around 2005
S9 came out around 2009
AirSense 10 came out around 2014

It's now been 6+ years since the AirSense 10 came out, and that's the longest they've gone without a major series release.  So they're probably close to coming out with something new soon.   But given the Airbreak revelations, they may put development on hold until they can address the (now public) knowledge that all their machines are mechanically the same, with differences only in the firmware.

But, as srlevine1 said, they're tight-lipped about these sorts of things.

Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with SuperSleeper - we are overdue -- just like earthquakes in California...

The S8 was announced in September 2005
The S9 was announced in April 2011 (5 years 7 months)
The S10 was announced in August  2014 (it is now 6 years, 6 months in 2/21)
AirMini - April 2017 (2 years, 8 months) 

Considering the form factor change between the S9 and S10, what could they change without simply 
enlarging the water chamber capacity,
upgrading the algorithm, 
upgrading the modem to 4g and 5G, 
adding Bluetooth connectivity,
adding Wi-Fi connectivity to eliminate the dial-up modem,
adding a better faceplate light with a switch and dimmer,
adding a time and alarm clock feature,
adding an off switch for the oximeter probe that is now continuously powered,
networking with other devices, 
adding an iPhone or Android setup-app (not all that desirable), and
including the DC-DC conversion feature in the power brick (now an optional unit)? 

Funny how that modification list looks like my wish list.

Forgot another date -- January 15, 2020, when Resmed Corp. to Pay the United States $37.5 Million for Allegedly Causing False Claims Related to the Sale of Equipment for Sleep Apnea and Other Sleep-Related Disorders

ResMed Corp., a manufacturer of durable medical equipment (DME) based in San Diego, California, has agreed to pay more than $37.5 million to resolve alleged False Claims Act violations for paying kickbacks to DME suppliers, sleep labs, and other health care providers, the Department of Justice announced today.    

Resmed Corp. to Pay the United States $37.5 Million for Allegedly Causing False Claims Related to the Sale of Equipment for Sleep Apnea and Other Sleep-Related Disorders | OPA | Department of Justice
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
What! No honorable mention of the AirStart?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2021, 03:40 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: What!  No honorable mention of the AirStart?

What is honorable about a non-responsive single-pressure brick in the age of auto-titration?  Nice initial device for those with limited funds and no desire to experiment with their therapy. I wonder if you could side-load the advanced algorithm into the machine and get a better device for less money? Not FDA-approved modification procedure I am sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just thought about the same thing when I got my Resmed 10 autoset a month ago. Then I realized why worry. The past machine was great and did the job and ordered the newer same version model. I will save my concerns for upgrades with important things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. 

I’ve heard from a DME rep recently that Philips Respironics is going to replace the Dreamstation Auto CPAP later this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2021, 03:12 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: But given the Airbreak revelations, they may put development on hold until they can address the (now public) knowledge that all their machines are mechanically the same, with differences only in the firmware.

Your link is dead.  But I'd love to read more about this (even though we've already known this to be true).  Where can I find the info?  Or can you give a good link?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 581 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,071 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.