Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does congestion caused by CPAP linger all day or do I have a cold?
Question 
Does congestion caused by CPAP linger all day or do I have a cold?
Yet another newbie question that might be dumb.

I know that CPAP can cause congestion and nasal issues, and see lots of advice about alleviating it. (Humidity, allergy drugs, etc.) Here’s what my searching didn’t tell me:

When one gets congestion triggered by using CPAP, is that something experienced generally DURING (or right after) treatment sessions, or can it linger all day like allergy or cold symptoms do?

I ask because I’ve had three total nights of CPAP treatment, so I’m still early in the learning stage. I think i’m just coincidentally coming down with a cold simultaneously because I’m slightly stuffy, kind of tired, and feeling generally blah (but I also live with chronic pain and an autoimmune condition, so it can be hard to tell normal me from sick me, except for the phlegm. LOL) 

One of my kids is stuffed up, too, and it is suddenly cold and nasty weather with heating season ramping up here, so I’m not clutching at viral straws. Then again, I’d hate to think I’m ignoring something I should adjust with the machine if I’m mixing up a virus with CPAP side effects.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does congestion caused by CPAP linger all day or do I have a cold?
I wake up with at least one nostril 'plugged' most days, not all.  When I do awaken with a plugged nostril, it clears within a few minutes upon rising onto my hind legs, or very shortly upon my first morning nose-blow.  I have a deviated septum and some minor lingering sinusitis a lot of the time, and now that we're in the wood burning season where I live, it does tend to stiffen up a bit for the worse.

If yours lingers much more than an hour, you have something like an allergic response or seasonal/cold issues I would think.  I don't see why your stuffy nose, if due to PAP therapy, should last more than a couple of hours.  But, let's wait for others to offer their experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stuffiness from Cpap use should clear up in an hour or two at the most after getting up.

I sometimes feel congested in the morning, but it tends to go away once up.  

As mesenteria stated, if congestion and stuffiness persists after a couple hours, it’s likely you are either suffering from allergies or a simple cold.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the responses, guys. I’ll just blame my darling children for bringing home another plague.

Naturally I’ve caught a cold. Cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 18 next week would be too easy otherwise... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I was regularly waking up with a stuffy head. Two general causes - too much moisture or allergies. I found getting the hypoallergenic filters (not the knock offs, but the BRAND names) made a big difference. Too much moisture is typically obvious because you get rainout or near enough to it. If it lasts to lunch time, definitely a cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe you can edit humidity setting to see if it helps congestion or makes it worse. I do this myself at times, even though mostly I have to run my humidifier on 8 of 8. Occasionally I need to back it down to less, but never less than 4 for me. My COPD for whatever reason likes a little humidity, which 3 or less is too little. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 2  turbinate surgeries and had my sinus passages inlarged. I have to use 12 hour nasal spray and to keep my head open I use Flonase each night before bed. I have lowered the humidity but no luck. If I lay down to take a nap, my head stops up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 3 244 04-16-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 447 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 396 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 410 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,524 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,125 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,037 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.