Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Home test came back negative. Would I be silly to buy a CPAP anyway?
Question 
Home test came back negative. Would I be silly to buy a CPAP anyway?
After a long and worsening history of bad sleep, I finally did some research and found that my symptoms are considered classic sleep apnea symptoms (I frequently wake to a sensation of choking, get morning headaches, feel unrefreshed after sleep, etc. etc.).

I spoke to the public health service and was prescribed a home sleep study. I struggled to get any sleep during the study, which came back negative (it detected only an AHI of 1 while I was on my side).

I still suspect apnea, and my girlfriend confirms she regularly hears me "holding my breath" for long periods at night. However, after the negative home test, I face a struggle to convince the health service I need further testing, and a long waiting list after that if I succeed.

Meanwhile, we have a baby due in 7 weeks, and I'm concerned that my worsening sleep issues could become hugely problematic when caring for a newborn!

So, to my questions:

1. In these circumstances, would it be jumping the gun to buy a CPAP without having a supporting diagnosis/prescription?

2. If I were to buy one, would this model be a good bet: "AirSense 10 AutoSet with humidifier and heat hose"? It seems to be the most easily available in my country, and costs €770.00.

3. The results of the home sleep study I took seem rather rudimentary. Would it still be possible to to hone in CPAP settings without detailed starting data?

Thanks to anyone who reads this!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home test came back negative. Would I be silly to buy a CPAP anyway?
This all depends on how much money you have. I think it's unlikely that you'll be harmed by using a CPAP machine -- although it's not (in my view) a barrel of laughs. And in seven weeks' time you're likely to have serious sleep disturbances that a CPAP won't fix Wink

There's some evidence that home tests can miss significant sleep apnea (I can post references if necessary). They certainly won't detect sleep apnea if you don't sleep during the test. The machines are easy to set up and use, and you can probably get one second-hand if you want to save money. If you do buy a new one, you can probably sell it on, if it turns out that you don't need it.

Still. maybe another home sleep study would be worth considering, before embarking on the long and arduous path of CPAP?

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
In my opinion, I would get it. If it does not work that machine (resmed s10 autoset) is very desirable and you can sell it used without problems...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
This machine is an excellent data-collection device, and we can help you read the data.

If you buy the machine and use it over weeks, you will become acclimated enough to fall asleep. Then you will see whether the machine thinks that you have apnea!

And like others have pointed out, if the machine makes it obvious that you don't have apnea, then you can sell it. (There is a worldwide shortage of machines because the largest manufacturer recalled all of the machines that they've made in the last two decades.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with cathyf. The AirSense 10 AutoSet (or the newer 11 which is essentially similar) is the gold standard machine. If it does not think you have apnea, you can sell it easily.

May I recommend going to http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea and find Section 1 at the beginning of the document; the section title is "APAP Optimization / Titration." You can read Sept 1 and Step 2, which are good background information but don't pertain to you at this point. Sections 3-6 are the most relevant for you. These will guide you through the steps to follow.

Best of luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious about how one can purchase a CPAP without a prescription (besides buying one used).
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP is in Finland... not all countries follow USA law Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2022, 07:11 PM)clownbell Wrote: If it does not think you have apnea, you can sell it easily.

I don't think it's that simple. I would love to be able to tell, just from the recordings of my ResMed, whether I definitely suffer from some sort of sleep apnea. But I can't -- while it's clear that I have some kind of sleep-disordered breathing, it's not clear that it's the kind that my machine (perhaps any machine) can fix.

It seems to me that buying an xPAP machine and setting it up yourself, when you aren't absolutely certain from the outset that you have textbook OSA, is the start of a long, not very agreeable journey, with an uncertain destination.

If you buy a machine, and a couple of days later all your symptoms are gone, then that's a result. If that doesn't, you're in the position of spending countless hours looking at OSCAR, tweaking settings, buying more equipment, and wondering whether another few days will help. That's where I am right now.

I'm not suggesting that buying/renting a CPAP machine is a bad idea. Just be prepared for it to be the start of a process, not the end.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,595 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 221 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 169 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,344 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 222 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 174 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 299 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.