Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does it hurt to let the humidifier tank run dry?
Does it hurt to let the humidifier tank run dry?
I know it doesn't do a kettle any good, but the temperatures are very different.

Sometimes I get all masked up, and then realize that the humidifier is nearly empty. Generally I've just hoped that it will last the night and, so far, it has. But will it actually damage the humidifier if it's run dry?

Thanks; BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does it hurt to let the humidifier tank run dry?
Running it dry is something I'd like to avoid. You might be given a hot plastic smell at least. Myself, I'd just fill it up and avoid the issues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run mine dry every once in awhile and the worst thing that happens is a bit of white stuff from the water that cleans out with a little vinegar added to the water when I scrub it out. I've never had the hot smell--bit again had almost enough water to make it through the night so it wasn't dry for long. From May until October I don't use heat in the humidified--just "pass over" humidification. Fill the tank once a week when I clean it, then no heat in tank or hose for the week. I can't stand breathing warm air--just use a little in the winter because a full face mask gets chilly if I don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on the temperature, you might notice a burning smell and a discoloration on the heater plate.  

Ask me how I know... Rolleyes
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMG THE SMELL THE SMELL THE SMELL!!!!!!!!

I can sleep through a veritable s***storm of apneas, deep diving desaturations, etc.

But the smell of cooking humidifier residue -- wide awake ripping off that mask retching!

...and I use distilled water -- who knows how bad it would be with my tap water? (We have very hard water, and if I used tap water I would grow stalactites and stalagmites in my water tank, LOL.)
Post Reply Post Reply
To OP - Wouldn't it just be easier to modify your routine by filling water tank before masking up? We all have routines, why not modify it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, it DOES hurt. It's happened to me a few times and, while i have never noticed a smell or done any damage, the extreme dryness I feel always wakes me up. You see, not only are you running with no humidity, the warming plate and heated hose warms the air passing through the tank, resulting in even more dryness than you would experience when running without a humidifier.

When this has happened to me, I have been so dry that it has left me with a sore throat. Awful. I am consequently careful to fill the tank as high as possible and use humidity settings that won't exhaust the water during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting.

I woke up 3 times last night; got up twice. First was for the trip down the hall...second was because of the humidifier. I hadn't filled it last night.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2022, 06:38 PM)cathyf Wrote: ...and I use distilled water -- who knows how bad it would be with my tap water? (We have very hard water, and if I used tap water I would grow stalactites and stalagmites in my water tank, LOL.)

Ditto on the distilled (from the big W).  
We're on a rural well that has iron. The softener takes care of it for the most part, so it's great for drinking.. but man, I put it in my tank once... never again ! ( the smell.. ugh)
Post Reply Post Reply
Those of you running non-chlorinated water, from whatever source, should ideally wash your tank and hose daily. The purpose of chlorine in the water supply is to prevent bacteria building up, usually in the form of 'biofilm', in the system. Chlorine usually does this very well. If 'pure' water is used, bacteria is likely to build up, especially given it's a wet and warm environment, perfect for biofilm growth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 772 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 323 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 789 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 517 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.