Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does long term humidifier use affect lungs?
Does long term humidifier use affect lungs?
I haven't slept well recently so maybe I'm over thinking things in the middle of the night, but my question is, does the nightly practice of having humid air pumped into the lungs for several hours at a time cause any health problems after long term use? Thinking of being more prone to bronchitis or pneumonia, maybe?
My humidifier is set to 3, btw, so average humidity plus slightly heated tube, but I might want to up that to 4 as the air gets drier with the winter heating.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does long term humidifier use affect lungs?
Well, water vapour is sterile because it's particles are too small to carry bacteria. Also if you use distilled water in your humidifier the bacteria have no food to grow in since there are no nutrients in distilled water. Bugs gotta eat too.

So it's unlikely and of course you are already breathing water vapour all day every day even if you live in the driest of deserts. The humidifier gives you a little extra, but I don't think it is going to be a problem.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The human airway is designed to warm and humidify inhaled air to near body temperature and 100% humidity before reaching the lung alveolus. Humidification and warming air can improve comfort with CPAP and is essential in any respiratory device that bypasses the upper airway. Non-condensing moisture does not cause injury, disease or irritation to the airway and lungs, and can prevent dryness and irritation that are frequntly complaints of using un-conditioned CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, thank you. I' haven't noticed any problems personally but was wondering if it affects people who have used it for 10 or more years. Your explanations make sense, and yes, I use distilled water. In the summer I dropped a fresh mint leaf into the water overnight a few times and enjoyed the slight mint smell but the "bugs gotta eat too" makes me rethink that...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2016, 10:31 PM)Russatrice Wrote: I haven't slept well recently so maybe I'm over thinking things in the middle of the night, but my question is, does the nightly practice of having humid air pumped into the lungs for several hours at a time cause any health problems after long term use? Thinking of being more prone to bronchitis or pneumonia, maybe?
My humidifier is set to 3, btw, so average humidity plus slightly heated tube, but I might want to up that to 4 as the air gets drier with the winter heating.

From the medical literature, one might deduce that a humidifier is a "comfort" item that improves compliance and reduces the incidence of unpleasant dryness in upper airway tissues. However, the key to effective use of the humidifier is to keep it scrupulously clean -- as well as cleaning all of the CPAP components. It also appears that patients who present with bronchitis and/or pneumonia AND use a CPAP device have not been studied well enough to draw hard and fast conclusions.

So, the real answer is in the form of a question to be put to your physician: Does the slight risk of using a CPAP with humidifier outweigh the benefits in preventing heart, pulmonary, and other systemic issues?

The answer cannot often be found in a statistical study that shows correlation, but because of individual physiology, comorbidities, and environmental circumstances, may not equate to causation. So, best practices demand an individual approach with physician input.

Personally, as long as you are not predisposed to COPD, bronchitis, pneumonia, or sinusitis, keep the humidifier clean and enjoy the benefits of alleviating discomfort. Best of luck with your therapy.

A heated humidifier reduces upper airway dryness during continuous positive airway pressure therapy.

Effect of continuous positive airway pressure therapy on infectious
complications in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.

Filters Reduce the Risk of Bacterial Transmission from Contaminated Heated Humidifiers Used with CPAP for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Sleep apnea and risk of pneumonia: a nationwide population-based study

However, there are some that question the study and its methodology ...

Implications of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and risk of pneumonia: overlap diseases or real risk?.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
i'd also add that people living in the tropics breath air that is 30+degrees and 90+ humidity all the time
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2016, 01:16 PM)SleepyBee Wrote: i'd also add that people living in the tropics breath air that is 30+degrees and 90+ humidity all the time

But then again, there are the factors of genetics, body acclimatization, local immunities to indigenous disease ... and most of all, they are not breathing from an artificial humidity source, that if not kept clean, can breed bacteria.

Technically this applies to all humidifiers and HVAC equipment.

If someone is really worried, you can purchase additional anti-bacterial filters which are designed not to drastically impede your airflow. The ResMed AirSense AutoSet actually has a selection (A/B Filter Y/N) in the Clinical Menu. I am not sure about other machines.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good info, thanks. You have given me extra incentive to keep everything meticulously clean. I guess I'll do a search for the best practice regarding cleaning and changing filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
A good daily rinse and weekly soap and water cleaning will usually suffice. Allowing the humidifier tray to dry between uses is almost a guarantee for good hygiene. I actually have two humidifier containers, and swap them allowing them to alternately dry and then putting them in use. With that routine, I've never had a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a humidified CPAP for 5 years now without even getting a cold. My tank cleaning is done every now and then and I top off the distilled water in the tank every evening. I am not saying that is the way everyone should do it but it is the way that I do it. I think that not even getting a cold in five years is a pretty good result.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.