Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does mask SIZE make a difference (regarding pressure)?
Does mask SIZE make a difference (regarding pressure)?
For example, would switching to a larger mask mean that the air gets less concentrated and therefore the pressure should be increased to accommodate? 

Y or N
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does mask SIZE make a difference (regarding pressure)?
N. All you need to do is to make sure that you've set the mask type correctly in the machine's settings: full-face, nasal, or nasal pillows/cushion. That's Resmed. On the Philips machines, it's done with the "resistance" settings, X1 through X5 or off (X0).
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with FD on this. The CPAP (mainstream branded items) has that compensation calculated via that mask setting. And if you mean changing cushion sizes, IMO there isn't enough volume change to be concerned about.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found even when setting the correct type of mask on the machine, that a increase in pressure of 1cm or so is required when going from a pillow mask to a full face mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Safe to say then "It depends on the user" is an answer to consider?

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience going from Resmed F10 to F&P Simplus (both full face) is that the Simplus required on average 1.5cm higher pressures to get the same consistent results. The Simplus has a substantially bigger volume.
Post Reply Post Reply
??? Your lung volume doesn't change when you use a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2019, 11:01 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: ???  Your lung volume doesn't change when you use a different mask.

Yeah, but the air has to fill both your lungs and the volume of the mask. A larger mask should, in theory, give the air more room to spread out, thus diluting it's concentrated power. 

On the other hand, the machine is supposed to be able to compensate for leaks, with reason,  (I think) and perhaps understands how to keep the pressure consistent based on the pressure it senses pushing back. 

All I know is that I seem to be having better numbers with the medium, but it's too early to tell. Leak rate was the same with both masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2019, 11:14 AM)Broomstick Wrote: Leak rate was the same with both masks.

Are you sure?  Keep in mind that larger masks would need a larger "Intended" leak to purge the exhaled Oxygen Carbon Dioxide (CO2).

to the OP, it is not at all uncommon to need to tweak settings when changing the delivery system, not always, but not uncommon.  I believe that a change in the volume of the system is the largest factor.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2019, 10:43 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: My experience going from Resmed F10 to F&P Simplus (both full face) is that the Simplus required on average 1.5cm higher pressures to get the same consistent results. The Simplus has a substantially bigger volume.

This is what I'm thinking. I just had a much higher AHI than average today and the only variable is this larger mask. It's too early to tell, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I will report back on my experiment after a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 604 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,244 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 216 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 253 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.